Fergie vows to avoid paranoia

Sir Alex Ferguson will not become paranoid about the decisions which have gone against Manchester United in their recent games with Chelsea.

The teams will meet in the Champions League quarter-finals next month, and also have a Premier League match at Old Trafford in May, which could have an impact on the title race.

Ferguson was given a five-match touchline ban and a £30,000 fine by the Football Association following his verbal attack on referee Martin Atkinson at Stamford Bridge in February.

After United’s 2-1 defeat, Ferguson questioned why the Yorkshire-based official had been given the game.

He criticised Atkinson’s failure to send Blues defender David Luiz off for fouls on Javier Hernandez and Wayne Rooney after the Brazilian had already been booked, then expressed comments the FA disciplinary panel felt had questioned the official’s integrity.

Ferguson believes there have been more instances of incorrect calls going against his side in recent matches against Chelsea.

He told the media: "I think the last few games we’ve had terrible decisions against us and you’ve just got to be careful you don’t have paranoia about it.

"But ability-wise we’re a good team, we played exceptionally well at Chelsea in the last game. We were very, very unlucky and we didn’t deserve to lose the game."

United travel to London to face Carlo Ancelotti’s side next Wednesday in the first leg of the quarter-final, with memories of that performance at Stamford Bridge last time providing Ferguson with encouragement.

He said: "We take that into the game because ability-wise we don’t have a problem."

Ferguson says he understands why referees are protected by the game’s authorities, but believes there should be a right to freely discuss performances of officials, providing any criticism is justifiable.

"If you speak your mind it’s a problem in the game," Ferguson said.

"They’re very strong in supporting the referees.

"In a way I totally agree with that, but there’s got to be fair comment also, and I think I try to do that."

While his focus is on bringing trophies to Old Trafford, Ferguson keeps half an eye on events across Manchester.

And the United boss expects rivals Manchester City to keep former Red Devils striker Carlos Tevez at Eastlands beyond the summer.

Tevez submitted a transfer request earlier in the season but has since made his peace with the club, so while Ferguson was not taken aback by news the Argentinian was keen to leave, he now sees the former United frontman staying in the city.

Ferguson said: "Knowing the background, the people who represent him, I’m not surprised, but I don’t think Manchester City would want to let him go.

"He’s had a great time there, he’s been their top goalscorer, their best player in the last two years, so why would they want to sell him?

"You don’t know everything at every club of course but it seemed to have settled down and I think in Mancini they have a strong manager who can deal with that."