Mackay apologizes for "unacceptable, inappropriate" text messages
AUG 22, 2014 1:49p ET
Malky Mackay has apologized for the discriminatory text messages he sent during his time as manager of Cardiff.
Mackay has come in for a wave of criticism after sharing what were reported to be racist, sexist and homophobic texts with former Cardiff head of recruitment Iain Moody, with the Football Association investigating a dossier submitted by the Bluebirds.
The 42-year-old Scot told Sky Sports News HQ: "Out of 10,000 text messages in and out of someone's phone I sent three and that being the case, looking at them they are completely unacceptable, inappropriate and for that and for any offence I've caused I sincerely apologise for that.
"That's something I did and there is no excuse for that."
Mackay appeared set to become the new Crystal Palace manager earlier this week, but the scandal surrounding him emerged just as the Premier League club were understood to be readying his appointment. Palace are now looking elsewhere for their next boss.
Mackay admitted sending the texts at the centre of the controversy, at a time when his position at Cardiff was under scrutiny, and acknowledged there could be no mitigation for what he did.
He was sacked as manager of Cardiff in December last year after months of speculation surrounding his position, despite leading the club into the Premier League for the first time in their history.
"I did it in a period where I was under immense pressure and stress in terms of the relationships that were possibly not going too well at my football club at the time," Mackay said. "But that doesn't excuse anything and was unacceptable.
"I'm a manager, I'm a leader of people and it should not have happened. But before all that and foremost, I'm a human being and I made a mistake."