Leicester crash to home defeat

Alan Dunne grabbed a late winner as Millwall banished any
lingering relegation fears with a 1-0 npower Championship win over
10-man Leicester at the King Power Stadium.

The home side were rocked by captain Wes Morgan’s early
dismissal, but held firm for 87 minutes before seeing their
promotion hopes suffer another blow as their winless run extended
to six matches.

Millwall were disappointingly conservative considering their
numerical superiority, but took the spoils when Irishman Dunne
popped up three minutes from time to slot home Richard Chaplow’s

Leicester’s hopes of ending their barren run were dealt a severe
blow after only three minutes when skipper Morgan clumsily bundled
into Andy Keogh and, as the last man, left referee Stuart Attwell
little choice but to send him off.

Kasper Schmeichel brilliantly kept out Shane Lowry’s 20-yard
effort from the subsequent free-kick, but Leicester reorganised
effectively and had their fair share of chances in the first

Ritchie DeLaet’s cross fell for Michael Keane, but his
point-blank header was somehow scrambled off the line by Lowry.

At the other end Schmeichel was alert to tip Jermaine Easter’s
20-yard drive behind for a corner, before a marauding run from
inside his own half by Belgian DeLaet finished with Danny Shittu
hacking the full-back’s shot off the line.

Millwall had neither the attacking inclination nor creativity to
make their numerical advantage tell and it was Leicester who
threatened again when David Nugent burst down the right and flashed
a powerful shot across goal.

Attwell’s hopes of endearing himself to the home fans who felt
aggrieved at his earlier decision went awry when he failed to spot
Hulse control the ball with his hand inside the penalty area, but
the former West Brom man was again denied by Schmeichel.

Hulse was not so lucky shortly after the half-hour mark though,
when he converted Easter’s low cross only to be ruled offside by
assistant Wayne Barratt.

With chances at a premium after the interval the game quickly
descended into a bad-tempered affair; Lions midfielder Liam Trotter
particularly fortunate to escape with only a caution when he went
in late on Jeff Schlupp.

The game looked to be petering out into a goalless draw when
Chaplow, who had bossed proceedings for much of the night, found
space down the left and although his pull-back missed all of the
visiting forwards, Dunne timed his run forward to perfection to
settle matters.