Late Cohen goal stuns Gunners

The Israeli powered a 90th-minute header past Wojciech Szczesny and
then removed his shirt to reveal a picture of his late father Avi,
who died in December following a motorcycle accident, before
breaking down in tears. On-loan Chelsea striker Daniel Sturridge
had opened the scoring in the 38th minute while Kevin Davies also
missed a penalty for Bolton at the start of the second half before
Robin van Persie netted a 48th-minute equaliser. The result leaves
Arsenal nine points behind Manchester United and three behind
Chelsea with only four games remaining. The first half was a
familiar story for Arsenal fans, with the Gunners bossing
possession but struggling to create clear-cut opportunities, while
Bolton’s more direct approach paid dividends. Probably the Gunners’
clearest opening came inside four minutes when Cesc Fabregas played
in Theo Walcott on the right. The England man’s strike was parried
by Jussi Jaaskelainen and Samir Nasri saw his follow-up effort
blocked by a combination of Gary Cahill and Zat Knight. Arsenal’s
pace looked to be the greatest threat to the hosts and from a quick
break Fabregas forced Jaaskelainen to tip his 25-yard effort round
the post before a Robin van Persie volley was well blocked by
Cahill. Bolton were giving as good as they got, though, and they
probably should have been ahead in the 24th minute when Sturridge
caught the Arsenal defence napping with a superb throughball for
Lee Chung-yong, but the Korean chose to try to pick out Kevin
Davies and the chance was lost. Lee had another golden chance in
the 37th minute, with Sturridge again the architect courtesy of a
lovely chip into the centre of the box. The winger made good
contact eight yards out but Szczesny was off his line quickly and
blocked the shot. There was no denying Bolton from the resulting
corner, though, as Sturridge made the breakthrough. Lee’s cross was
headed powerfully towards goal by the impressive Cahill and,
although Nasri cleared off the line, Sturridge was on hand to head
in the ball. Fabregas almost squared things before half-time but
his 20-yard shot cannoned off the post with Jaaskelainen well
beaten. Things got worse for Arsenal in the opening minute of the
second half and again it was Sturridge causing the problems. The
striker’s neat turn took him past Johan Djourou and, when Sturridge
fell in the box under pressure from the Gunners defender, referee
Mike Jones pointed to the penalty spot. Captain Davies stepped up
but his effort was tame and straight at Szczesny, who easily
blocked the shot. It seemed inevitable Arsenal would capitalise on
their second chance and little over a minute after the penalty, Van
Persie picked up the ball on the right and played a one-two with
Fabregas before placing the ball just inside the post. It was the
seventh successive away game in which the Dutchman had found the
net – a new Premier League record. Bolton responded well but they
were indebted to their goalkeeper for keeping them level when Nasri
ran on to van Persie’s throughball in the 65th minute. The
Frenchman was in space but Jaaskelainen made himself big to block
the initial shot and, although the ball rebounded to Nasri, the
angle was too tight and Cahill was able to block his follow-up. The
Gunners pressed but Bolton defended superbly and it was they who
created the clear-cut chance Arsenal craved when Johan Elmander
took advantage of a defensive slip to run into the box and fire in
a shot at Szczesny, who did well to palm it behind. There was no
stopping Bolton from the corner, though, as Taylor’s cross picked
out the head of Cohen, who had replaced Sturridge six minutes
earlier. With the game in the 90th minute, the Israeli powered a
head into the back of the net for his first goal of the season.
Cohen broke down in tears as he was mobbed by his team-mates but it
was Arsenal who were left distraught moments later as Jones blew
the final whistle.