Kean confident of January funds

Many people expected conversations between executives of the Indian
company and their manager this week to centre around Kean’s
position, but not so according to the man himself. Instead, the
Scot presented his list of transfer targets to help relieve an
injury crisis that has robbed him of Ryan Nelsen, Scott Dann,
Martin Olsson and Gael Givet, while goalkeeper Paul Robinson is
also a doubt for the Boxing Day clash at Liverpool. Weakness in
defence has been at the centre of Blackburn’s struggles, with
bottom-of-the-table Rovers failing to keep a clean sheet all season
and shipping 38 goals in 17 games. “We spoke about the transfer
window and the need to get defenders in and just where we are,”
said Kean. “It was a very positive conversation. It wasn’t a case
where there was just positions discussed, it was names. “I told
them I think we can get these players and let’s push on and get
them in the early part of the window so we can have a good amount
of bodies and good competition for places once the other lads get
out of the treatment room. “We talk about what I feel is the most
important things. The conversations have mostly been about players’
health and players coming in.” Kean has had to endure ever more
vociferous protests from fans calling for his head and has also
acted as a lightning rod for anger at the role of Venky’s, who have
done little to take the heat off the Scot. He had no complaints,
though, saying: “I think they are aware (of the atmosphere). They
watch the games, if not live then a few hours after. They read all
the newspapers and all forms of the media. “They’re being
supportive to me. Anytime I ask for a player I normally get them,
so that’s good support.” Michel Salgado has been badly missed, with
midfielders Jason Lowe and Morten Gamst Pedersen currently playing
as emergency full-backs, and Kean insisted the Spaniard could come
back into contention over the festive period. Salgado was quoted in
the local press this week saying he had been given time off when he
wanted to play, with the story fuelling reports of financial
problems at the club. But Kean insisted the 36-year-old, who will
not be offered a new contract when his current deal runs out in the
summer, was given the break to pursue a possible opportunity in
Spain. “He’s got every chance of playing,” said Kean. “He’s got a
contract that’s still in place. We were a bit disappointed with the
way that was reported because we thought we were giving Michel the
respect to go back (home). “He’s got one unique opportunity that
might open up for him just after the transfer window’s closed but
he would have to qualify it now. “When you tell an experienced
player that their contract is not going to be renewed after this
season, if there is an opportunity and they want to move on in the
window, we gave him the respect to let him go back and sort that
out.” On paper, Rovers’ chances of taking anything from their next
two games look slim, with Monday’s trip to Anfield followed by
another away game at Manchester United. But, although Liverpool are
unbeaten at home this season, they have drawn five of their eight
matches, including against Swansea and Norwich, and Kean sees no
reason why Blackburn cannot follow suit. He said: “It will be a
really big ask for us to get something, but why not? Other teams
have gone there this season not expecting to get anything and have
come away with something, so there is a possibility to get a
result. “It’s a very famous and intimidating ground. There’s lots
of good football been played there over the years and I’ve always
been a fan of the way Liverpool have played. “Since Kenny
(Dalglish) has gone back in again, the fans have got behind them,
which has been massive for the club,” Kean added pointedly.