Juventus reiterate stance to keep Vidal amid growing transfer rumors

The 27-year-old midfielder is a reported target of Manchester United this summer.

Chris Brunskill Ltd/Getty Images

Juventus have reiterated that they have no intention of selling reported Manchester United target Arturo Vidal.

Rumors continue to suggest that a deal to take the highly-rated Chile international to Old Trafford is close. It has even been speculated that the sanctioning of a sale contributed to Antonio Conte’s decision to leave his managerial post in Turin.

Juve have wasted little time in filling that particular vacancy, with former AC Milan coach Massimiliano Allegri drafted in on a two-year deal. At his unveiling on Wednesday, Juve’s sporting director Giuseppe Marotta took the opportunity to address a number of issues, including Vidal’s future and the ongoing transfer gossip.

He said: "He’s a Juve player. We have never put him up for sale. A number of important clubs have asked about him but we have never sat around the table for negotiations. He’s one of the main players in this team and we hope to keep him, even though I know that it is often the player that decides their future. He has repeatedly said he’s happy to stay here and we hope to continue together."

PAPER CHASE

Vidal, who scored 11 goals in 32 league appearances to help Juve win their third straight league title in the 2013-14 campaign, is currently on holiday in Chile after helping his country reach the last 16 of the World Cup, where they lost on penalties to tournament hosts Brazil. The former Bayer Leverkusen star recently admitted he would be happy to remain at Juve.

Vidal is expected to arrive in Turin for pre-season training on July 28.

Earlier in the week, Juventus manager Antonio Conte left his post after winning the Serie A title for three successive years. The 44-year-old announced his decision in a video interview on the club’s official website – just a day after the start of pre-season. Juventus also confirmed Conte’s decision to step down — citing mutual consent — with chairman Andrea Agnelli delivering a passionate tribute.

"Dear Antonio, you have been a great leader and this news saddens me greatly," he wrote on Juve’s official site. "Three years together have led us to write history with three consecutive titles and two Italian cups. You have given a group of highly talented professionals who will be at the disposal of the new coach to continue writing the future.

"You are in the history of the Bianconeri colours and whatever choice you make, a Juventus victory will always make you smile. Antonio, thank you for everything. Til the end."

Conte left Juvenuts amid fevered speculation regarding the future of key players Paul Pogba and Vidal.