Iron enjoy centenary victory

Derby boss Nigel Cough felt his side were unlucky to lose as
they slipped to a 2-1 defeat at high-flying Hull City on Tuesday

Goals from home debutant Gedo, within 90 seconds of his
half-time introduction, and Ahmed Elmohamady were enough to secure
the win over the visitors, who had levelled on 84 minutes through
Jamie Ward only to concede soon after.

“It would have been a thoroughly deserved point. It was a very
good away performance at one of the favourites for promotion and I
can’t ask any more from our players whatsoever,” he said.

Clough said he felt there was a handball in the build-up to
Hull’s winner, adding: “That’s two major decisions in four days
that have gone against us.”

Gareth Roberts was shown a late red card for a high tackle on
Nick Proschwitz and Clough said the Rams would not appeal the

“He’s gone for the ball definitely, but with the ball being off
the ground he has to be off the ground as well.

“We don’t usually appeal these things unless it’s blatantly
obvious, so I don’t think we will be, but it certainly wasn’t

Rovers went into the game behind leaders Tranmere in League One
on goal difference but their failure to beat mid-table Dons coupled
with Bournemouth’s victory over Crewe has instead seen the
south-coast side take the summit by virtue of a point.

It was the Dons’ first visit to the Keepmoat Stadium and they
started brightly, Izale McLeod twice firing just past a post either
side of Andy Griffin’s similar effort at the other end.

Billy Paynter blasted a good chance over the crossbar for Rovers
towards the end of the first half.

A scrappy second period hardly looked like providing a winner,
with both keepers untroubled as attacks failed to breach either

McLeod blasted well off target in the 86th minute after a home
attack had broken down, summing up a largely forgettable night for
the 6,423 present.

It was their third home win in a week and lifted them five
points clear of the relegation zone.

After being presented with an anniversary plaque from Football
League chairman Greg Clarke, Scunthorpe raced into an early 2-0

Striker Akpo Sodje headed them in front from a left-wing cross
by Mark Duffy after 17 minutes – his third goal in the last three
home games.

Three minutes later skipper Paul Reid powered home a header from
a right-wing corner by Duffy.

It threatened to be a tough night for Carlisle, who arrived at
Glanford Park unbeaten in their previous four games. But they were
thrown a lifeline in the 45th minute when midfielder James Berrett
tried his luck from long range and saw his shot squirm into the net
under ‘keeper Sam Slocombe.

Scunthorpe nearly struck back immediately in first-half stoppage
time when a header from Sodje came back into play off the far

There were chances at both ends in a frantic second half, Jimmy
Ryan and Karl Hawley both within a whisker of a third goal for
Scunthorpe, while only two excellent saves from home keeper
Slocombe denied the Cumbrians an equaliser.

Finally it was Sodje who settled things when he raced clear in
stoppage time for Scunthorpe to make it 3-1 with his second goal of
the game.