Huddersfield hold Charlton

Adam Clayton struck a late penalty to rescue a 1-1 draw for
10-man Huddersfield in their Championship clash at Charlton.

The Terriers saw Keith Southern dismissed in the first half at
The Valley on Saturday and fell behind to Rob Hulse’s effort after
60 minutes.

But Simon Grayson’s men are made of stern stuff and they hit
back with two minutes to play as Clayton kept his cool to net his
first goal in 12 matches.

Boss Chris Powell handed Arsenal loanee Emmanuel Frimpong his
Addicks debut, while the visitors lined up without the attacking
trio of Jermaine Beckford, James Vaughan and Sean Scannell.

Huddersfield spurned a glorious chance to open the scoring
inside the opening two minutes. Clayton’s shot was cleared off the
line and the loose ball fell kindly for Peter Clarke but the
defender, without a goal in 47 games, skied his effort over the

Terriers defender Paul Dixon picked up a booking midway through
the first half when he brought down Bradley Pritchard, but Johnnie
Jackson’s subsequent free-kick was punched clear by Alex

Referee Lee Collins produced another card 10 minutes later, but
this time a red one for Southern as he arrived second to the ball
and ended up sliding through Michael Morrison in the middle of the

With their numerical advantage, Charlton’s threat was bound to
increase and some neat footwork from Ricardo Fuller opened up a
chance for him to shoot late in the first half, but he dragged his
effort wide.

Hulse headed over on the hour mark from Chris Solly’s cross but
made amends shortly after when he opened the scoring. Pritchard
whipped in a cross from the right and Hulse was on hand to turn
home from close range.

Frimpong’s impressive debut was curtailed after 66 minutes as he
appeared to tweak a muscle when testing Smithies with a well-struck

Grayson summoned Alan Lee from the bench for the final 13
minutes and he was one of a host of Terriers players appealing for
a handball against Salim Kerkar in the box, but Collins waved play

There was a different outcome in the 88th minute when Solly went
to clear a cross but caught Clarke late and the ref pointed to the
spot. Clayton stepped up and drove a powerful penalty past Ben
Hamer to deny Charlton their fourth win on the bounce.

The visitors had Smithies to thank for preserving their point as
he somehow kept out Hulse’s effort from point-blank range.