France forward Cabella seals Newcastle move on six-year deal
JUL 14, 2014 8:07a ET
Remy Cabella resumed his holiday already planning to establish himself among Newcastle's great French imports.
The 24-year-old France international completed his move from Montpellier for an undisclosed fee on Sunday evening when he signed a six-year deal to become the latest recruit from his country to ply his trade at St James' Park.
He could make his competitive debut for the club in the Barclays Premier League opener against Manchester City next month, and he will do so hoping to follow in the footsteps of the likes of David Ginola and Laurent Robert.
Cabella told nufcTV: "Yes, that's something I am here for. I am looking to improve all the time and hopefully become one of the best. I just love improving.
"I love to play. Big matches or little matches, I am always there. It makes me want to play more, the fact that this match is such a big one at the start, and I am looking forward to just getting involved in the season.
"My first match at Newcastle is something I have been really looking forward to."
Cabella freely admits he modelled himself on Real Madrid star Cristiano Ronaldo as a youngster, but insists he has become his own man as he has matured in the game.
He said: "I loved to learn how to dribble like him and do the tricks, but now I am on the professional stage, I have my own way.
"I am looking to improve all the time and Newcastle is a well-known, very good club. I just love to improve and that's what I'm here to do."
Magpies boss Alan Pardew was delighted to have finally landed a man the club had been chasing since January, when they tried to sign him as a replacement for Yohan Cabaye.
Indeed, the 52-year-old included himself in a vote of thanks he extended to owner Mike Ashley, managing director Lee Charnley and chief scout Graham Carr for eventually getting the deal done.
Pardew said: "I'd like to pay tribute to my staff, in particular Graham, myself, Lee and Mike and everyone on the board who worked really hard for this one because he's a player we think is important.
"Obviously, that's represented in the fee and represented in his commitment to us as well.
"I am just looking forward to seeing an exciting talent in the team and someone who can open the door.
"Of course, he's a player who has been on our radar for a while. It's a marquee signing for us.
"He represents all Newcastle fans love in a player. He has real flair, real hard work, commitment. But he is going to bring a talent to St James' Park that I hope our fans are going to enjoy.
"He's got great ideas when the ball comes to him and, along with [former Ajax midfielder] Siem [de Jong], is going to improve an area where we definitely needed some help.
"It's part of a rebuilding process, and a big part of it."
Pardew finished last season under pressure after Newcastle wilted alarmingly following Cabaye's departure for Paris St Germain, and he is hoping signings of the calibre of Cabella and Dutchman De Jong can help win over his detractors.
He said: "It's taken us a while to build and we have had to lose one or two great players along the way, Cabaye in particular.
"But we always knew that once this summer came, we could make a bigger step, maybe, and hopefully that's reflected in performances, reflected hopefully in our fans' belief in the team and more importantly, for the players we have retained, the great players we have retained - [Fabricio] Coloccini, [Cheick] Tiote, Tim Krul, et cetera."
In the meantime, Cabella will return to the holiday he interrupted in Corsica to complete his move before throwing himself into his new challenge.
The midfielder said: "It was nice to meet everybody and to come down, but I am definitely looking forward to making the most out of the rest of my holiday before I have to knuckle down and get in and start training with everyone."