Doyle stakes cup final claim

Leicester manager Nigel Pearson felt his side were lacking at
both ends of the pitch during their 2-1 FA Cup fourth round replay
loss at home to Huddersfield.

The Foxes fell behind to an early goal from Adam Clayton and,
although Michael Keane quickly replied, Sean Scannell got a
second-half winner for the visitors.

Pearson said: “We were not good enough in both boxes. That is
what cost us.

“We should have avoided giving away the free-kick for the first
goal and were then caught on the counter-attack to concede the

“And we were not clinical enough in their penalty area, when we
had our chances. We didn’t secure the ball well enough but still
had opportunities.

“There were some good passages of play and there was a good work
ethic but we were let down, because the quality in both boxes was
not what it has been.

“We are disappointed to be out of the FA Cup but I have got a
lot of faith in this group of players.

“The league has always been our priority but I would still have
preferred to go through tonight.

“Credit to Huddersfield, they’ll be delighted with the result.
They came and got everyone behind the ball, played counter
attacking football, and were hard to break down.”

The visitors were ahead after just 56 seconds of Tuesday’s
League Two clash at Adams Park when, after a long throw, the ball
fell to Doyle on the edge of the area and his half-volley found the
bottom corner.

Wycombe were almost level three minutes later when Joel Grant’s
cross found the arriving Josh Scowen, but he could only head over
the crossbar.

Just before the hour, the Chairboys were nearly level again,
when a sweeping counter attack put Sam Wood through on goal, but
his shot was well saved by Matt Duke.

Five minutes later, Garry Thompson saw a thunderous volley
cannon back off the bar but, with 10 minutes remaining, substitute
James Hanson found Will Atkinson, who fired home from 12

yards to double the advantage.

And after Hanson was felled in the box by Dave Winfield, Doyle
stepped up to score his second past Jordan Archer, inflicting
Wycombe’s first defeat since New Year’s Day.