Del Neri proud of Juve spell

Luigi Del Neri insists he can leave Juventus with his head held high despite failing to lead them to a European spot in Serie A.

Sunday’s 2-2 draw against Napoli was Del Neri’s last game in charge after the club board decided last week not to continue with his services.

Juve ended the campaign empty handed and finished seventh in the Serie A standings.

Del Neri said on the club’s official website: "I am proud to have guided this group. I have a great rapport with everyone and I’m convinced it will remain even outside the football pitch.

"My time here in Turin has been positive. I have launched young players."

Del Neri was brought in last summer having guided Sampdoria to fourth place, and was under contract for a further campaign.

However, Juve have struggled with injuries and a lack of consistency throughout the campaign.

"It was a season of rebuilding," Del Neri said. "We started well but since January, we have had ups and downs.

"We still could have remained in the race to finish fourth but certain episodes have not helped us."

Former Juve midfielder Antonio Conte, who led Siena to promotion to Serie A this term, is set to replace Del Neri at the helm.

Del Neri believes Juve have plenty of talent but still need time to rediscover former glories.

"Many of the players had never played at this level," Del Neri said. "They need time to gain experience and patience is needed, which is something I know Juve cannot have."