Davis eyes future Gers return

Nottingham Forest have shown an interest in Stevenage’s head of
recruitment Leon Hunter, according to the npower League One
club.

Reports emerged last week that Forest’s Kuwaiti owners, the
Al-Hasawi family, were weighing up a move to bring Hunter to the
City Ground as director of football.

Forest have a gap in their hierarchy after the Al-Hasawis
controversially sacked long-serving chief executive Mark Arthur and
dismissed Reds legend Frank Clark from his ambassadorial role last
month.

Chief scout Keith Burt was also given the boot along with Arthur
and Clark.

Stevenage chairman Phil Wallace told the Comet: “They (Forest)
are not the first club to show an interest in him and I doubt
they’ll be the last since he’s a talented young man with an
extensive knowledge of British and overseas players and agents.

“However, he’s loving the role at Stevenage and has a high level
of autonomy and responsibility so I don’t think it will be that
easy for him to be enticed away.

“However, as with professional players, if any individual
working in football has the chance to move to the highest level,
I’m sure he or she will do so.”

McGrath, club captain at Albion, has been unable to force his
way back into the Brewers’ starting line-up following a five-month
absence with a foot injury.

The 32-year-old will remain with the Minstermen until March 11
and is reunited with manager Gary Mills, who he played under at
Tamworth.

Despite being allowed to leave the Pirelli Stadium, Burton boss
Gary Rowett insists McGrath remains part of his plans as the team
chase promotion from League Two.

He said: “I’ve done this reluctantly, in a way, because
characters like Macca are the sort of people I want around the
club.

“I had hoped that I would be able to find him a place back in
the side before now but, since he had that bad injury, the form of
Lee Bell and Robbie Weir in the middle has been too good to
disrupt.

“I know John is desperate to play and, with him going to York,
he will now have a month of League Two football.

“I hope that means that we will get an even more match-fit Macca
coming back to us later in the season.”

The turmoil which surrounded the Govan club a year ago on
Thursday after it lapsed into administration, subsequently followed
by liquidation, led to an exodus of players.

The Northern Ireland midfielder, 28, moved last summer to
Southampton who reportedly paid Rangers ‘newco’ ?800,000 for
him.

Davis explained his decision to leave his boyhood heroes while
leaving the door open to the possibility of going back at some
point in his career.

He told the Daily Record: “We were professional sportsmen and on
the day it was announced Rangers were going into administration it
was just a series of words to us until we absorbed the
ramifications of what had taken place.

“I had just signed a new, five-year contract with the club and
it had always been my intention to honour that agreement in full
and devote the largest part of my career to the team I considered
to be one of the biggest names in world football.

“I loved the club and the fans but I had to take a decision
which was best for me, my family and the remainder of my
career.

“There was so much uncertainty, so I was delighted Southampton
made an offer that was acceptable and the club got money that they
needed to keep going.

“It was the toughest decision of my life when I left for another
club.

“I gave the team 100% every time I went out on to the park for
Rangers.

“If everything goes to the plan I have in my head I’d like to
come back and play for the club again before my career ends.

“I know there are different opinions about the players who left
after administration but I still follow Rangers and they continue
to mean a lot to me.”