Goalkeeper Thibaut Courtois says he’s 99 percent sure of staying at Chelsea following reports of interest from Real Madrid.
Sky Sports‘ Spanish football expert Guillem Balague reported on Wednesday that La Liga giants Real would move for Courtois if they failed to capture Manchester United goalkeeper David de Gea this summer.
However, talking to Sky Sports ahead of Belgium’s weekend pre-Euro 2016 friendly against Switzerland, Courtois played down the prospect of any Stamford Bridge exit, revealing he already had discussions with Chelsea’s new boss Antonio Conte.
"Yes, I’ve spoken to him," Courtois said. "We had a good chat."
Asked if he felt it was a big compliment to be associated with one of Europe’s top heavyweights, he added: "Of course. There are rumors from the press always popping up.
"But I’m calm with it. My season has not been the very best like last year, when when we won the Premier League. But still, I’m very confident in myself that I will have a good Euros and another good season at Chelsea."
Courtois enjoyed three successful seasons on loan at Atletico Madrid and the thought of returning to Spain is an attractive one, but the 24-year-old Belgian is desperate to improve with his current club.
"I had a wonderful time in Spain and I have a Spanish girlfriend, so one day I would like to go back," he said. "But that can be well after my career.
"With injuries, my season has been different with Chelsea and we didn’t have the best season. For myself, there were a few goals when I could have done better, but I still made good saves.
"Some people forget quickly about your qualities, but I’m confident I will have a good Euros with Belgium."