Clarets and Potters share the spoils

It means that while Brian Laws’ side move above Hull they remain in
the relegation zone. Tuncay opened the scoring for Stoke in the
23rd minute but Burnley rallied in the second half. Laws, though,
is finding it hard to make an impact since replacing Owen Coyle as
manager in January. This was his ninth league match in charge and
they have won only won game. Next up are fellow strugglers Wolves
on Saturday – another massive clash. Stoke almost made the
breakthrough as early as the third minute when Abdoulaye Faye
clipped a shot wide of the post following a corner from Liam
Lawrence. There followed a decent spell of pressure by Burnley but
they could not take take advantage. Danny Fox whipped in a
free-kick that was diverted to safety by Danny Collins. Then Chris
Eagles was set up by Martin Paterson in the 14th minute following a
short spell of pressure by the home side. However the former
Manchester United midfielder sent his effort nearer the corner flag
than the goal, much to his frustration. Stoke again found
themselves on the back foot when Jack Cork found space in the area
but like Eagles failed to test Thomas Sorensen. The visiting
goalkeeper, however, then turned away a low drive from Fox in the
17th minute as Burnley stepped up the pace. Stoke took the lead six
minutes later following a long throw from Rory Delap. It was
flicked on by Mamady Sidibe to Tuncay, who headed home. Burnley
came under pressure in the 31st minute when Matthew Etherington
released Delap, only for Graham Alexander to show good positioning
to block his shot. Etherington then set up Tuncay in the area but
his first touch was poor and Leon Cort was able to get the ball
away. Burnley hit back and Eagles delivered a cross to Paterson at
the back post in the 39th minute. However he showed a lack of
confidence and sent his effort weakly into the side-netting. Stoke
responded and Etherington latched on to a good ball from Andy
Wilkinson and delivered it into the area – but Cort was able to
clear. Burnley, however, made a bright start to the second period
and Eagles latched on to a pass from Nugent. He skipped forward to
the edge of the area only to go to ground following a challenge
from Delap. Eagles appealed for a free-kick but referee Howard Webb
would have none of it and allowed play to continue. Burnley stunned
Stoke by drawing level in the 52nd minute with a goal out of
nothing. Paterson turned Collins inside out before delivering a
superb cross deep into the area. Nugent was the first to react and
left Sorensen stranded with a powerful header – his sixth goal for
the club. It was an open game now with both sides going for the
win, rather than settling for a point. Etherington tried to release
Wilkinson in the 82nd minute but goalkeeper Brian Jensen
anticipated, then a minute later substitute Dave Kitson made space
for himself before rattling in a shot which tested Jensen. Burnley
came close to getting the winner in the closing moments of the game
with Eagles sending a shot over the bar and substitute McDonald
finding the wrong side of the post with his effort.