Caley draw Tannadice thriller

Dundee United denied Inverness a memorable win as an enthralling
Scottish Premier League clash at Tannadice ended 4-4 on

Captain Jon Daly’s last-minute penalty came after the Tangerines
had raced into a 3-0 lead inside eight minutes – before Billy
McKay’s hat-trick followed by Gary Warren’s 86th-minute header
looked like earning the points for the second-placed visitors.

United went ahead through Josh Meeking’s early own goal before
further strikes from Daly and Rudi Skacel seemed to have them home
and dry, until McKay sparked a comeback which few inside Tannadice
would have predicted.

Peter Houston’s side came out with all guns blazing and they
took the lead in the fifth minute when Barry Douglas whipped over
an inch-perfect cross for Daly, whose effort was going off target
until Meekings turned it into his own net past Inverness keeper
Antonio Reguero.

Daly could not believe his luck as he made it 2-0 a minute
later, following a mix-up in the Inverness defence. John Rankin’s
hopeful ball forward led to Graeme Shinnie panicking under pressure
from Flood. As Shinnie tried to turn and clear his lines, he
succeeded only in hitting it straight at Daly – who knew little
about it as the ball rebounded off him before nestling in the

Skacel then made it 3-0 with his first goal for the home side
since signing in September. This time Stuart Armstrong split the
Caley Thistle defence with a weighted pass for Skacel to race onto.
The Czech star steadied himself before firing his low right-foot
shot across Reguero to make it 3-0.

But McKay started the Inverness revival in the 26th minute with
a close-range header from Richie Foran’s half-volley, with Radoslaw
Cierzniak in the home goal well beaten.

Then, two minutes later, the on-song striker made it 3-2 by
turning home a free header after United had had failed to deal with
Aaron Doran’s corner.

Both sides went for goals after the break and it was the hosts
who came close to restoring a two-goal lead. Daly’s cross from the
right caused panic in the away defence, where Garry Warren almost
turned the ball into his own net only for Reguero to pull off a
fine diving save. Russell fired the rebound into the

But in the 62nd minute McKay levelled for the never-say-die
visitors. Willo Flood fouled Ross Draper as he made his way into
the United penalty area and McKay stepped up to complete his
hat-trick by sending Cierzniak the wrong way from the spot.

The comeback looked complete four minutes from time when
defender Warren headed home in off the post from Shinnie’s

However, right at the end, Daly’s penalty made it 4-4 after
Foran’s foul on United substitute Milos Lacny.