Brighton settle for a point

Brighton and Nottingham Forest missed the chance to move into
the Championship play-off positions as they played out a 0-0 draw
at the Amex Stadium.

The Seagulls had plenty of opportunities to break the deadlock,
with Inigo Calderon – replacing the injured Bruno – almost marking
his return to the side with an early goal, only to see his shot
come back off the post.

Will Hoskins wasted a trio of chances and Brighton were almost
made to rue their failure in front of goal when Billy Sharp, who
brushed the crossbar, and Dexter Blackstock went close either side
of half-time.

Kazenga LuaLua, a 69th-minute change for Hoskins, and Will
Buckley almost netted winners late on in a second half starved of
chances, but goalkeeper Lee Camp was on top form to deny the

The stalemate leaves Gus Poyet’s side without a win in three
games now and one spot above ninth-placed Forest in the table.

The hosts almost opened their account in the eighth minute but
Calderon saw his left-footed shot from Craig Mackail-Smith’s
cutback hit the post.

Brighton went close again shortly afterwards when Hoskins shot
wide from six yards before Wayne Bridge drilled into the side
netting. Poyet’s outfit continued to dominate and Hoskins wasted
another two opportunities to net the opener, volleying and heading
over from crosses.

Camp had to be alert to tip over Calderon’s effort in the 39th
minute, but the Seagulls almost went behind on the stroke of
half-time when Sharp clipped the bar from Cohen’s cross.

The visitors started the second half like they finished the
first and were close to netting the opening goal as Blackstock
poked substitute Greg Halford’s cross wide.

Camp was on hand to save Calderon’s third effort, while Henri
Lansbury – a 59th-minute replacement for Adlene Guedioura – tested
Tomasz Kuszczak from 12 yards.

LuaLua almost found the all-important first goal nine minutes
from time when he collected the ball on the left and cut inside
before unleashing a shot which the diving Camp pushed to

Camp was then on hand to deny Buckley, who had burst through
after latching on to a Halford mistake.