Bhoys beaten, Dons up to second

Charlie Adam scored the only goal as Stoke secured their third
Premier League win of the campaign against Fulham at the Britannia

Adam notched the decisive strike on 26 minutes – his second goal
in three games following his winner against Norwich – after Peter
Crouch had headed down Ryan Shotton’s cross.

Ryan Shawcross headed against the woodwork and Stoke had a late
Kenwyne Jones’ effort rightly disallowed for offside at the death
as they deservedly claimed the three points to stretch their
unbeaten league run at home to 13 games.

The win sees Tony Pulis’ side climb up to 11th in the table on
16 points, the same total as Fulham, who stay ninth and are now
winless in their last five games.

In driving rain, it was the visitors who made the brighter
start, with Giorgos Karagounis lashing an effort across goal and
wide on two minutes.

At the other end, Robert Huth headed wide from Matthew
Etherington’s corner on the quarter hour-mark and the Potters
continued to pressurise, with Adam sending the ball over after
juggling it in the area.

Moments later the Scotland midfielder scored, taking one touch
in the six-yard box when Crouch headed Shotton’s cross his way
before swivelling and firing the ball in.

The hosts kept up the momentum as Glenn Whelan tried his luck
from the edge of the area, drilling wide, and Shawcross almost made
it 2-0 in the 36th minute when he clattered a header against the

Fulham immediately broke forward, with Mladen Petric coming to
meet a cross into the box but unable to finish, and Dimitar
Berbatov – captain for the day in place of the suspended Brede
Hangeland – then saw a delivery into the danger-zone scrambled

Soon after the restart, Whelan scooped an effort over from Jon
Walters’ tee-up while at the other end Karagounis had a shot
balloon over.

Adam saw an effort deflect wide and Mark Schwarzer then tipped
away a header by Huth from one Etherington corner, before Shawcross
nodded another off target.

Fulham then went close as Berbatov’s drive was saved by Begovic,
while substitute Jones thought he had doubled his side’s lead in
the dying moments, but was flagged offside.

At Parkhead, Billy McKay’s second-half goal gave Caley all three
points against lacklustre Celtic – but the Hoops still stayed top
of the table.

Following their 2-1 Champions League defeat by Benfica in Lisbon
in midweek, Hoops boss Neil Lennon had claimed fatigue was
impacting on his squad and it looked that way as they never got
going against the neat and tidy visitors.

Kris Commons and Mikael Lustig missed good chances for the home
side in an otherwise dull first half but there was no second-half
surge from the champions and indeed, after McKay notched in the
65th minute from close range, he later spurned a good chance to
double their lead when he hit the bar with only Fraser Forster to

Aberdeen moved into second place thanks to a 1-0 away victory
over Hibernian, who missed the chance to replace Celtic at the

Niall McGinn struck 14 minutes from time to give the visitors
the spoils as they moved level on points with Hibs, with both clubs
just a solitary point behind leaders the Hoops.

The home side were the better team throughout, with Craig Brown
making a half-time tactical shuffle to try and shift the attacking
flow in Aberdeen’s favour.

It may not have had the desired effect on the overall play,
where Hibernian were still superior, but provided his team with the
ammunition they required to take all three points.

Rowan Vine struck two minutes from time to hand St Johnstone a
2-1 victory over Kilmarnock in what was a bad-tempered clash at
Rugby Park.

Home captain Manuel Pascali was controversially sent-off after
four minutes, for a two-footed challenge on Nigel Hasselbaink.

Murray Davidson slotted the away side ahead on the half-hour
mark, however the hosts battled back and grabbed a deserved
equaliser seven minutes from the end when Michael Nelson headed
home from James Dayton’s free-kick.

The game looked set for a stalemate but Vine fired home on 88
minutes to clinch all three points for Steve Lomas’ side.

Dundee United came from behind to snatch a 2-1 victory over Ross
County in an action-packed second half at Global Energy

After a goalless first half Iain Vigurs gave County the lead in
the 48th minute with a glancing header.

Johnny Russell equalised within four minutes after he beat
County goalkeeper Michael Fraser to a long ball on the edge of the
18-yard box – and United grabbed the winner in the 65th minute when
Stuart Armstrong nodded in a Jon Daly knockdown.

Steven Thompson grabbed a double as St Mirren ended a poor run
of results with a 3-1 win over bottom side Dundee in Paisley.

Thompson struck on either side of a Ryan Conroy penalty, before
Dougie Imrie put the gloss on the win with his first goal for the
club against 10-man Dundee.

The victory ended a run of six straight defeats in the SPL for
Saints, who headed into the clash just a single point ahead of
their opponents.

Earlier in the day, Motherwell again failed to find the net at
Fir Park as they were held to a 0-0 draw by Hearts in a
disappointing contest.

The home side had the better of the second half after a poor
first 45 minutes but their final ball was lacking.

Hearts had a penalty claim rejected when Darren Randolph caught
Callum Paterson with his knee as he collected a high ball but
referee Crawford Allan was the best-placed man in the stadium to
judge and did not appear to think twice about ignoring the