Vidal rules out transfer move to United, unclear over future at Juventus
Arturo Vidal rules out move to Manchester United, still unclear over future at Juventus
The 27-year-old midfielder has been rumored with a move away from Juventus this summer.
MARTIN BERNETTI / AFP
Arturo Vidal has told the Italian press that he will not be going to Manchester United this summer, but admits he still does not know if he will be staying at Juventus and is waiting to hold talks over his future on Monday.
There has been intense speculation that the midfielder could be on the move since before the transfer window opened, but he has repeatedly played down the reports. He kept his focus on Chile at the World Cup and is still enjoying a break before reporting back to Juve, where he has been a key player for the past three years.
The 27-year-old will speak to new boss Massimiliano Allegri at the start of next week and admits his future is uncertain, but appears to have ruled out a switch to Old Trafford. Speaking to Sky Sports Italia, Vidal insisted that he was still enjoying life in Turin and urged fans not to worry.
Vidal, who is under contract until 2017, said: "I'm still on holiday at the moment. Can I say I'm staying at Juve? I don't know. On Monday I'll talk to Allegri then we'll see. I'm happy here. I'm calm. I believe Juve fans can be too. I still haven't spoken to Allegri or my teammates. I'm not going to Manchester."
A number of clubs have been linked with Vidal this summer but United were reportedly leading the chase and they are prepared to spend heavily if necessary. Executive vice-chairman Ed Woodward stated earlier this week: "The reality is that we're not afraid of spending significant amounts of money in the transfer market. Whether it's a record or not doesn't really resonate with us. What resonates is a top, top elite player that the manager wants that is going to be a star for Manchester United."
Woodward endured a frustrating first summer as United's executive vice-chairman last year, as mooted transfers for Cesc Fabregas, Thiago Alcantara, Gareth Bale and even Cristiano Ronaldo failed to materialize. United have paid upwards of £50million for Luke Shaw and Ander Herrera, but as has been the case for the last few years, the biggest transfers have taken place away from Old Trafford this summer.
Real Madrid signed James Rodriguez for £63 million on Tuesday and Barcelona paid £75 million for Luis Suarez earlier this month. When asked whether United would be willing to pay a similar amount for a player, Woodward said: "It is in our capabilities. The club are not afraid of doing that -- spending significant amounts of money in the transfer market."
Woodward insists neither he nor the club would be fazed about being responsible for such a big deal.
"We are in a very strong financial position. We can make big signings," Woodward said. "I get pointed in the direction of a target that the manager wants and there is an assessment of what that might cost and I'll negotiate hard to do the best I can on the trade."