MLS Roundup: Philly ends slide with win at SKC, Montreal and Toronto FC in Canadian final

Danny Cruz and his Philadelphia teammates raced over to embrace John Hackworth after the opening goal in the Union's 2-1 victory at Sporting Kansas City.

Peter Aiken/Peter G. Aiken-USA TODAY Sports

Sporting Kansas City 1 – Philadelphia 2

Philadelphia eased the pressure on boss John Hackworth and ended a nine-match winless streak with a victory at Sporting Park. Danny Cruz deposited a rebound from a Cristian Maidana effort to open the scoring three minutes after halftime. Cruz and his teammates immediately ran over to the Union bench and swarmed Hackworth in a show of solidarity. Second-half substitute Dom Dwyer produced a fine curling equalizer for the out-of-sorts home side 10 minutes from time, but Maidana responded a moment later to ensure the Union left Kansas City with three precious points.

Montréal 4 – FC Edmonton 2 – Canadian Championship semifinal, second leg – Montréal advances 5-4 on aggregate

Patrice Bernier converted a disputed penalty deep in second-half stoppage time to send the holders through to the final. The home side should not have needed the late heroics after Jack McInerney scored twice in the first half and Jeb Brovsky snatched a third shortly after the interval. FC Edmonton responded after conceding the third and somehow pegged the Impact back with a pair of goals from Frank Jonke. It looked like the Eddies would somehow advance on away goals until referee Drew Fischer awarded a penalty for handling deep into stoppage time. FC Edmonton players protested bitterly at the decision, but the valid claims did not stop Bernier from stepping up and sweeping home the winner.

FC Edmonton boss Colin Miller and Impact investor/operator Joey Saputo exchanged words on the field after the final whistle as the visitors expressed their frustrations about their fate. Miller later explained his frustrations about the decision to Sportsnet.

Vancouver 2 – Toronto FC 1 – Canadian Championship semifinal, second leg – series tied 3-3 on aggregate, TFC advances 5-3 on penalties

Issey Nakajima-Farran converted the decisive penalty kick as the Reds relied on Joe Bendik to carry them through to the final at B.C. Place. Doneil Henry opened the scoring for the Reds after just four minutes, but Erik Hurtado equalized after the interval to throw the Whitecaps a lifeline in the tie. Henry then felled Hurtado from behind to concede a penalty in the final 10 minutes. Pedro Morales dispatched the penalty with aplomb to send the match to extra time. Dwayne De Rosario hit the outside of the post during the additional 30 minutes, but the match eventually proceeded to penalties. Bendik – stellar on the evening – saved from Kekuta Manneh and watched his teammates score on all of their attempts to send the Reds through to the final.