Dramatic Germany-Sweden Match Leads FOX Sports to Most-Watched 2018 FIFA World Cup™ Day to Date
Germany’s Win Peaks at 6,736,000 Million Viewers on FOX
NEW YORK & MOSCOW – FOX Sports recorded its most-watched FIFA World Cup™ day to date for the 2018 tournament, with three Saturday matches averaging nearly four million viewers (3,875,000). Leading the day, the dramatic Germany-Sweden Group Stage match won by Germany, on a stunning stoppage-time goal from Toni Kroos, scored 5,397,000 viewers according to Nielsen Media Research. Including streaming, the match drew 5,636,000 viewers.
Peaking at 6,736,000 viewers, the German victory was the most-watched non-U.S. Men’s World Cup Group Stage match on English-language television since at least 1990.
Match viewership was up +108% from the 2014 World Cup Group Stage average, excluding U.S. matches (2,592,000) and up +189% from the 2010 World Cup Group Stage average, excluding U.S. matches (1,868,000).
In addition, Germany-Sweden was the most-watched English-Language soccer telecast since the FIFA Women’s World Cup Final™ on FOX (22,317,000 on FOX alone for the full telecast).
In other matches Saturday, Mexico beat Korea Republic, 2-1, delivering 4,646,000 viewers across FOX Sports platforms (4,433,000 on linear television), the second-most-watched match of this year’s tournament on FOX or FS1. Belgium routed Tunisia 5-2 in the early morning match of the day, delivering an average of 1,951,000 viewers, making it the most-watched early morning match of the 2018 tournament to date.
Through Match Day 10, World Cup viewership across FOX and FS1 is averaging 2,125,000 viewers:
- +14% from the 2010 Group Stage average, excluding U.S. matches (1,868,000)
- +2% from the average of the last four World Cups through Match Day 10, excluding U.S. matches (2,084,000)
- +25% from the complete Group Stage average of the last four World Cups, excluding U.S. matches (1,704,000)
FOX Sports Saturday digital highlights include:
- The Germany-Sweden match was the top-performing streaming match of the day, with an average minute audience of 239,000 and 689,000 unique streamers
- Through Day 10, FOX Sports has delivered 906 million total minutes of streaming content (matches, shoulder programming and VOD)