MOSCOW & NEW YORK – FOX Sports scored its most-watched match of the FIFA World Cup™ tournament, as Lionel Messi’s Argentina settled for a 1-1 Group Stage draw with Cinderella Iceland. The match delivered an average of 2,973,000 viewers on the FOX broadcast network according to Nielsen Media Research, making it the most-watched game of the tournament for FOX and FS1, and the most-watched English-language soccer telecast in the U.S. since 2016.
The match totaled 3,127,000 viewers across FOX and FOX Sports streaming services. Additional highlights from the David vs. Goliath match-up include:
- The FOX telecast peaked at 4,061,000 viewers
- The viewership average for Argentina-Iceland is up +59% from the 2010 Group Stage average, excluding U.S. matches
- The viewership average for Argentina-Iceland is up +15% from the 2014 Group Stage average in preferable time slots and excluding U.S. matches
- Through Match Day 3, 2018 FIFA World Cup™ games on FOX and FS1 are averaging 1,859,000 viewers, a +9% increase of the complete Group Stage average of the last four World Cups combined, excluding U.S. matches
- FOX Sports social media platforms delivered their best day of the tournament, with 13.5 million total video views; FOX Sports on Twitter set a daily record for the third consecutive day