Feds deny bombing suspect in custody
Federal officials denied a suspect was under arrest Wednesday in the Boston Marathon bombings.
- 3 more suspects in custody
- One suspect dead; second in custody
- Official: Video shows bomb suspect
- Blasts rock marathon
- Video: Chaotic scene
- Photos: Response, aftermath
- Neighbor recalls 8-year-old victim
- Eubanks: Reminder of Atlanta
- Runner gives firsthand account
- Cities worldwide boost security
- Did time of year play role?
- Sporting events hit by attacks
- US bombings, failed attempts
A law enforcement official briefed on the investigation told The Associated Press earlier in the day that a suspect was in custody. The FBI and the U.S. attorney's office in Boston said that no arrests had been made.
The official who spoke to the AP did so on condition of anonymity and stood by the information even after it was disputed. The official, who was not authorized to divulge details of the investigation, had said the suspect was expected in federal court in Boston.
Reporters and police converged at the courthouse.
Several media outlets reported that a suspect had been identified from surveillance video taken at a Lord & Taylor store between the sites of the two bomb blasts, which killed three people and wounded more than 170.
A news briefing was scheduled later Wednesday.
''Contrary to widespread reporting, there have been no arrests made in connection with the Boston Marathon attack,'' the FBI said in a statement. ''Over the past day and a half, there have been a number of press reports based on information from unofficial sources that has been inaccurate. Since these stories often have unintended consequences, we ask the media, particularly at this early stage of the investigation, to exercise caution and attempt to verify information through appropriate official channels before reporting.''
Law enforcement agencies had earlier pleaded for the public to come forward with photos, videos or any information that might help them solve the twin bombings. Police also gathered surveillance video from businesses around the finish line.
The bombs were made from ordinary kitchen pressure cookers packed with explosives, nails and ball bearings to inflict maximum carnage, investigators and others close to the case said. But the FBI said nobody had claimed responsibility.
(Subject to change)
- Official: Video shows bomb suspect
- Feds deny bombing suspect in custody
- FOX News: Counterterrorism officials review threats
- FBI asks public for video, photos
- Gov: No unexploded bombs at site
- FBI: No suspect in custody
- Injury total now more than 170
- Boston doctor: Number of amputees
- Boston Globe: 8 sent to children's hospital
- 8-year-old boy among the dead
- London Marathon exec: Race still on
- Explosion at JFK Library appears fire related
Investigators in white jumpsuits had fanned out across the streets, rooftops and awnings around the blast site in search of clues on Wednesday. They combed through debris amid the toppled orange sports drink dispensers, trash cans and sleeves of plastic cups strewn across the street at the marathon's finish line.
President Barack Obama branded the attack an act of terrorism. Obama plans to attend an interfaith service Thursday in the victims' honor in Boston.
Scores of victims of the Boston bombing remained in hospitals, many with grievous injuries. Doctors who treated the wounded corroborated reports that the bombs were packed with shrapnel intended to cause mayhem. In addition to the 5-year-old child, a 9-year-old girl and 10-year-old boy were among 17 victims listed in critical condition.
The trauma surgery chief at Boston Medical Center says most of the injuries his hospital treated after the marathon bombings were to the legs.
''We have a lot of lower extremity injuries, so I think the damage was low to the ground and wasn't up,'' Dr. Peter Burke said. ''The patients who do have head injuries were blown into things or were hit by fragments that went up.''
Dozens of patients have been released from hospitals around the Boston area.
At Massachusetts General Hospital, all four amputations performed there were above the knee, with no hope of saving more of the legs, said Dr. George Velmahos, chief of trauma surgery.
''It wasn't a hard decision to make,'' he said Tuesday. ''We just completed the ugly job that the bomb did.''
The bombs exploded 10 or more seconds apart, tearing off victims' limbs and spattering streets with blood. The blasts near the finish line instantly turned the festive race into a hellish scene of confusion, horror and heroics.
The blasts killed 8-year-old Martin Richard, of Boston, and 29-year-old Krystle Campbell, of Medford. The Shenyang Evening News, a state-run Chinese newspaper, identified the third victim as Lu Lingzi. She was a graduate student at Boston University.