BC-AP Sports Preview Digest
MAR 23, 2014 12:21p ET
Some of the sports stories The Associated Press is covering Sunday. A full Sports Digest will be sent at about 3 p.m. All times EDT.
- The men's NCAA tournament cuts its field to 16 teams with eight games:
At Raleigh, N.C.: Mercer vs. Tennessee, 6 p.m.; Virginia vs. Memphis, 8:30 p.m.
At St. Louis: Kansas vs. Stanford, noon; Wichita State vs. Kentucky, 2:30 p.m.
At San Antonio - Iowa State vs. North Carolina, 5 p.m.; Creighton vs. Baylor, 7:30 p.m.
- Unbeaten Connecticut plays Prairie View (8 p.m.) in one of 16 first-round games in the women's NCAA tournament.
- Three men's NIT games: Illinois at Clemson (11 a.m.); Saint Mary's (Calif.) at Minnesota (3 p.m.); and Southern Mississippi at Missouri (5 p.m.).
- NEW YORK -The Knicks, winners of eight straight and three games behind Atlanta for the final Eastern Conference playoff spot, play the Cleveland Cavaliers. Game starts 7:30 p.m.
- DALLAS - Jason Kidd makes his first trip to Dallas as a coach when the Brooklyn Nets face the Mavericks. Dallas won the 2011 title with Kidd running the floor. Game starts 6:30 p.m.
- SYDNEY - The Sydney Cricket Ground treated the Los Angeles Dodgers well. They have a two-game lead on everyone after opening the season with a pair of victories over Arizona.
- LAKELAND, Fla. - Max Scherzer and the Tigers fail to agree on a long-term contract and will not negotiate again until after the season. He will make more than $15 million this year.
- ORLANDO, Fla. - Adam Scott leads Keegan Bradley by three shots going into the final round of the Arnold Palmer Invitational. A victory could leave Scott ranked No. 1 for the Masters.
- PHOENIX - Sixteen-year-old Lydia Ko of New Zealand is in front entering the last round of the JTBC Founders Cup on the LPGA Tour. Jessica Korda and Mirim Lee are a stroke back.
- FONTANA, Calif. - Defending champion Kyle Busch headlines the field at Fontana, NASCAR's fifth race of the season. Race starts 3 p.m.
- KEY BISCAYNE, Fla. - Roger Federer faces a qualifier, and Andy Murray plays Feliciano Lopez in the third round at the Sony Open.
- JOHANNESBURG - A ''golden thread'' of evidence suggests Reeva Steenkamp screamed before she died, leaving Oscar Pistorius with ''serious questions,'' a legal expert says.
- MOSCOW - An avalanche kills two female skiers at the mountain resort used for the Sochi Olympics the day after it opened to the public. Four other skiers escaped unharmed.