BC-AP Sports Preview Digest
MAR 15, 2014 12:12p ET
Some of the sports stories The Associated Press is covering Saturday. A full Sports Digest will be sent at about 3 p.m. All times EDT.
- KANSAS CITY, Mo. - No. 16 Iowa State tries to win its first Big 12 tournament since 2000 when it meets Baylor in the championship game. The seventh-seeded Bears, who have already won three games in three days, will be trying to win their first conference title when they face the fourth-seeded Cyclones.
- NEW YORK - Doug McDermott and No. 14 Creighton try to cap their first Big East season with a tournament championship when they play Providence in the title game at Madison Square Garden.
- KATY, Texas - Stephen F. Austin tries to extend its winning streak to 28 games when it faces Sam Houston State in the Southland Conference tournament title game with a trip to the NCAA tournament on the line.
- CLEVELAND - Top-seeded Western Michigan, making its first appearance in the title game in 10 years, takes on second-seeded Toledo for the Mid-American Conference championship and a spot in the NCAA tournament
- HOUSTON - Texas Southern meets Prairie View in the Southewestern Athletic Conference tournament championship for a trip to the NCAA tournament.
- EL PASO, Texas - Coach Danny Manning tries to get Tulsa back in the NCAA tournament for the first time since 2003 in the Conference USA championship game against top-seeded Louisiana Tech.
- NEW YORK - Albany takes on Stony Bok in the America East title game with the league's automatic NCAA berth on the line
- NORFOLK, Va. - Top-seeded NC Central and Morgan State meet in the championship of the Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference tournament with the winner earning a berth in the NCAA tournament.
- PALM HARBOR, Fla. - Robert Garrigus has a three-shot lead going into the third round of the Valspar Championship, where a victory would earn him a spot in the Masters.
- HOT SPRINGS, Ark. - Southwest Stakes winner Tapiture looks to secure his spot in the Kentucky Derby as the favorite in Saturday's Grade 2 Rebels Stakes at Oaklawn Park.
- INDIANPOLIS - Hakeem Nicks was looking for a chance to jump start his career. The Colts are giving him a chance. One day after the former Giants receiver agreed to terms with Indianapolis, the former Giants receiver is expected to talk about why he chose the Colts.
- DALLAS - Local fighter Johny Hendricks takes on Robbie Lawler for the vacant UFC welterweight title in the UFC's first main card in Dallas in five years. The title was vacated by the retiring Georges St-Pierre.