Olympics

AIBA says boxers made no illegal promoter contact

Share This Story

   
 

LONDON (AP)

Amateur boxing's governing body cleared members of the U.S. Olympic boxing team of any wrongdoing Wednesday night regarding their possible contact with a professional promoter before the games.

Lolo Jones

SHOCKS AND TEARS

Lolo Jones was among those who couldn't escape controversy at the London Olympics.

AIBA announced that no American boxers entered into promotional agreements before the Olympics, which would be a violation of amateur rules.

AIBA didn't specify the promoter involved, but Oscar De La Hoya's Golden Boy Promotions issued a news release last week touting its plans to showcase the pro debuts of several Olympic boxers on CBS telecasts in October and December.

''We are abiding by the rules and continue to abide by the rules of our international federation,'' USA Boxing executive director Anthony Bartkowski told The Associated Press. ''We must work in unison in growing the sport of Olympic-style boxing.''

Golden Boy's news release got the attention of AIBA, but it determined no fighters had actually signed with the promoter yet. Los Angeles-area native Joseph Diaz Jr. is widely thought to be headed to Los Angeles-based Golden Boy after the Olympics, but AIBA was satisfied no rules had been breached.

''AIBA would like to thank USOC and USA Boxing for their swift action in clarifying this situation,'' AIBA President Wu Ching-Kuo said. ''We are committed to ensuring complete transparency and that our rules are adhered to at all times.''

Golden Boy CEO Richard Schaefer declined comment when reached by the AP. He is expected to arrive in London this weekend to scout Olympic talent.

Golden Boy's connection with CBS would return boxing to network American television for one of its few showcases since the 1990s. De La Hoya got a gold medal and his nickname from the 1992 Olympics in Barcelona, and has worked with USA Boxing in past publicity events.

The American team started out 4-0 at the Olympics, but has lost five straight fights to leave just four men still fighting in the tournament. Diaz, the bantamweight considered perhaps the top pro prospect on the U.S. roster, lost his second-round bout against Cuban world champion Lazaro Alvarez in Wednesday's first fight.

Tagged: Joseph Diaz Jr.

Related Stories

Member Comments

Please note by clicking on "Post comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Use and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be Polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator.

powered by


OLYMPIC VIDEOS

Olympian Van Dyken injured in ATV accident

Posted: Jun 09, 2014
America's Pregame provides an update on the condition of former Olympic swimmer ...

Phelps clocks fastest qualifying time in return

Posted: Apr 24, 2014
Michael Phelps clocks the fastest qualifying time in 100-meter butterfly at the ...

Clark claims 7th US Open halfpipe crown

Posted: Mar 09, 2014
Watch Kelly Clark land the first-ever cab 1080 en route to claiming her 7th win ...

Gold wins US Open halfpipe

Posted: Mar 09, 2014
Watch Taylor Gold's US Open-clinching run in the halfpipe, featuring an epic Fro...

Blind skier prepares for 2014 Paralympic Games

Posted: Mar 07, 2014
Blind skier Staci Mannella pushes the limits as she prepares for the 2014 Paraly...

Fox Sports Store

MORE THAN SPORTS on MSN