Jocketty: Sizemore had change of heart

Grady Sizemore hasn't played in the Major Leagues since 2011 and hasn't played a full season since 2008 because of injuries.

James Guillory-USA TODAY Sports

CINCINNATI — Reds general manager Walt Jocketty said Thursday morning that a deal that would have brought former Cleveland outfielder Grady Sizemore to the opposite end of the state this spring fell through when Sizemore had a change of heart.

Sizemore agreed to a one-year deal with Boston on Wednesday, according to reports from radio station WEEI-FM in Boston. Sizemore hasn’t played in the Major Leagues since 2011 and hasn’t played a full season since 2008 because of injuries. His deal, according to reporter Rob Bradford, is for $750,000 and includes incentives that could be worth up to $6 million.

Reports earlier in the week were that Sizemore and the Reds were close to a deal. Jocketty confirmed that Thursday when he spoke with reporters before departing on the team’s annual winter caravan tour of towns in Ohio, Indiana, Kentucky, West Virginia and Tennessee.

"We thought we were going to get it done and he changed his mind at the last minute," said Jocketty. "That’s his prerogative."

RED SOX SIGN OF SIZEMORE
Grady Sizemore has reached a Major League deal with the Boston Red Sox. READ MORE

Sizemore was a three-time All-Star selection with the Indians from 2006-08 and won two Gold Gloves and a Silver Slugger Award in that time span as Cleveland’s centerfielder. He has a career on-base percentage of .357 to go with a slugging percentage of .473 but after playing 157 games in 2008, Sizemore played in 106, 33 and 71 games the next three seasons because of multiple injuries and surgeries.