Ex-Cavaliers guard Gibson facing battery charge
JUL 29, 2013 3:32p ET
New Orleans police records confirmed the report and indicated Gibson has been released.
Gibson, 27, has spent his entire seven-year NBA career with the Cavs. He is an unrestricted free agent, free to sign with any team. Prior to the incident, a Cavs official described a Gibson return to Cleveland as highly unlikely.
The incident involving Gibson reportedly occurred at the Essence Music Festival, which ran from July 3-6 in New Orleans. Gibson’s wife, singer Keyshia Cole, performed at the festival.
According to the arrest warrant, Gibson broke someone's jaw in a New Orleans club after the victim spoke to Cole.
Gibson told TMZ.com, “Earlier this month during the Essence Music Festival, I was involved in an incident with other individuals while I was out with my wife. … It's unfortunate that some see opportunity in taking advantage of people who work hard for what they have achieved.”
He added, “Once all the facts of the incident come out, I expect to be fully vindicated.”
Gibson and Cole starred in “Family First,” a reality show televised on BET this past season.
Following his selection in the 2006 draft (42nd overall), the 6-foot-2 guard has compiled career averages of 7.8 points and 2.0 assists. He averaged a career-high 11.6 points in 2010-11, but has been limited with injuries in each of the previous two seasons.
Sources told FOX Sports Ohio earlier this month the Milwaukee Bucks and Houston Rockets had Gibson on their radar. But the Bucks recently signed free agent guard Gary Neal (San Antonio Spurs), likely ending any possible interest in Gibson.
The Cavs have not commented on the incident.
According to WDSU, Louisiana state law defines second-degree battery as an assault in which the offender “intentionally inflicts serious bodily injury” on another individual.
Gibson’s attorney, Ike Spears, was contacted by WDSU but declined comment.