A spokesman for former Boston Bruins player and coach Mike Milbury says his client won’t face criminal charges for a confrontation he had with a 12-year-old boy after a youth hockey game.
The spokesman made the announcement after a closed door hearing Friday in Brookline District Court, where police and witnesses appeared before a court official.
"Well, that’s good that it’s over a couple days before Christmas," Milbury told The Boston Globe after the hearing. "It was an unfortunate misunderstanding . . . We’re pleased with the court’s ruling."
Police had sought to have Milbury charged with assault and battery, making threats and disorderly conduct.
They said he grabbed, shook and threatened a boy who was fighting with his 12-year-old son on Dec. 9.
But Milbury has said he grabbed the player’s uniform to stop the fight but never assaulted or threatened the boy.
The 59-year-old Milbury, an NHL analyst with NBC Sports, had been taken off the air to focus on the situation.