BC-AP Sports Preview Digest
JUN 08, 2014 1:01p ET
Some of the sports stories The Associated Press is covering Sunday. A full Sports Digest will be sent about 3 p.m. EDT:
- PARIS - Rafael Nadal wins his ninth French Open title and fifth in a row, beating Novak Djokovic 3-6, 7-5, 6-2, 6-4 in the final.
- SAN ANTONIO - With the air conditioning ready to hum, the Spurs play Miami in Game 2 of the NBA Finals. A cramped LeBron James missed the closing minutes of the Heat's opening loss. Game starts 8 p.m.
- SAN ANTONIO - David Stern took particular pride in knowing his successor would be ready for the job. But nothing could have prepared Adam Silver for his first four months as commissioner.
- NEW YORK - California Chrome heads home to California with a special bandage on his right front foot, and no Triple Crown. The colt bumped another horse leaving the Belmont Stakes starting gate.
- NEW YORK - The Rangers will be back on home ice, and in a perilous 0-2 hole. New York lost Game 2 in double overtime, a 5-4 defeat in which it led by two goals three times. Game 3 is Monday night.
- NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman says there's been a sharp decline in concussions across the league. Whether the league's concussion protocols deserve the credit is an open question.
- Five years after former UCLA basketball star Ed O'Bannon filed his antitrust lawsuit against the NCAA, the case goes to trial Monday in California in the biggest challenge yet to the NCAA's authority.
- SAO PAULO - The U.S. heads to Brazil with boosted confidence. For the first time, the Americans won all their warmup games leading to the World Cup, the latest a 2-1 decision over Nigeria on Saturday night.
- YAOUNDE, Cameroon - Cameroon's World Cup team refuses to board a plane to Brazil because of a long-running dispute over bonus payments for the tournament.
- MEMPHIS, Tenn. - Ben Crane, eyeing his first PGA Tour victory since 2011, leads by three shots entering the last round of the rain-delayed St. Jude Classic. Phil Mickelson is five back in this U.S. Open tuneup.
- WATERLOO, Ontario - China's Shanshan Feng takes a two-stroke lead over Michelle Wie and Inbee Park into the final round of the Manulife Financial Classic.
- LONG POND, Pa. - Denny Hamlin is on the pole and Jimmie Johnson goes for his third straight Cup win when the series shifts to Pocono Raceway.
- MONTREAL - The Mercedes team of Nico Rosberg and Lewis Hamilton takes a commanding lead in the championship race into the seventh race of the season, the Canadian Grand Prix.
- SAN FRANCISCO - The Giants, with the best record in baseball, go for their fifth straight win when they play a New York Mets team that has lost five in a row. Game starts 4:05 p.m.