BC-AP Sports Preview Digest,1st Ld-Writethru
MAY 24, 2014 12:47p ET
Some of the sports stories The Associated Press is covering Saturday. A full Sports Digest will be sent at about 3 p.m. All times EDT.
- LISBON, Portugal - Real Madrid and Atletico Madrid play in the first Champions League final between teams from the same city. Atletico is looking to complete its greatest season. Game starts 2:45 p.m.
- PARIS - Serena Williams is 53-2 on clay over the past three seasons, and she heads into the French Open as the defending champion for the first time since 2003. The Grand Slam event begins Sunday.
- MIAMI - Pacers star Paul George says he's ready to play Game 3 of the Eastern Conference finals following a concussion. The series is tied after the Heat won 87-83 at Indiana in Game 2. Game starts 8:30 p.m.
- OKLAHOMA CITY - Some good news for the Thunder: They're back home and Serge Ibaka might play in the Western Conference finals. The San Antonio Spurs lead 2-0, with Game 3 on Sunday night.
- NEW YORK - A day after a big injury and two suspensions, the Canadiens and Rangers play Game 4 on Sunday. New York leads the Eastern Conference finals 2-1. It's unclear if the Rangers' Derek Stepan will play.
- WASHINGTON - The Redskins say in a letter to Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid the team's nickname is ''respectful'' toward Native Americans. Half the Senate wants the name changed.
- CARSON, Calif. - Landon Donovan discusses the decision by U.S. soccer coach Jurgen Klinsmann to drop him from the roster. The top American international scorer was hoping to play in his fourth World Cup.
- INDIANAPOLIS - Michael Andretti has established an auto racing empire, his hand in just about everything. But his heart is still at Indy, that vexing track that has haunted his family for generations.
- CONCORD, N.C. - Kyle Busch looks to extend his record of Nationwide Series success at Charlotte Motor Speedway in the History 300. He's won eight times on the track. Race starts 2:30 p.m.
- FORT WORTH, Texas - PGA Tour rookie Brice Garnett is in front going into the third round at Colonial. Jimmy Walker and Dustin Johnson are among 15 players within three strokes.
- MOBILE, Ala. - With her closest rival less than half her age, 44-four-year-old Catriona Matthew is in front entering the round of the Airbus LPGA Classic. One stroke back is 18-year-old Charley Hull.
- BENTON HARBOR, Mich. - Colin Montgomerie, Bernhard Langer and Tom Watson are part of a six-way tie for the lead entering the third round of the Senior PGA Championship.
- MINSK, Belarus - Russia beats Sweden 3-1 to reach the final at the hockey world championships, where it play Finland or Czech Republic.