BC-AP Sports Preview Digest
FEB 28, 2014 11:51a ET
Some of the sports stories The Associated Press is covering Friday. A full Sports Digest will be sent at about 3 p.m. All times EST.
- PALM BEACH GARDENS, Fla. - Rory McIlroy has a one-shot lead going into the second round of the Honda Classic. Tiger Woods was eight shots behind.
- AVONDALE, Ariz. - NASCAR's new knockout qualifying format makes its debut at Phoenix International Raceway. Nationwide cars used the format at Daytona last weekend, but this will be the first test for the Sprint Cup teams.
- NEW YORK - Stephen Curry returns to Madison Square Garden for the first time since his 54-point, 11 3-pointer performance about a year to the day earlier when the Golden State Warriors visit the reeling New York Knicks. Game starts 8 p.m.
- CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. - Anticipation is huge for No. 12 Virginia's home game against No. 4 Syracuse on Saturday. Guard Malcolm Brogdon says the key will be approaching it just like any other game.
- CHICAGO - No strangers to outdoor games, the Pittsburgh Penguins and Chicago Blackhawks get a chance to test the ice at Soldier Field before the finale for the successful NHL Stadium Series. Jonathan Toews and the Stanley Cup champions host Sidney Crosby and the Penguins on Sunday in a prime-time showdown of two of the league's top teams.
- STILLWATER, Okla. - Marcus Smart is playing as well as ever since returning from his three-game suspension, just in time for Oklahoma State to host No. 5 Kansas. A win would stabilize OSU's shaky NCAA tournament hopes.