Report: Savard's season could be over
Marc Savard remains at his home in Ontario while recovering from the concussion he suffered Jan. 22 in Colorado. His future, both in the short term and the long term, remains very unclear.
Looking for more scoops on your favorite New England sports teams? Check out NESN.
General manager Peter Chiarelli, however, did reveal that the Bruins are considering shutting down Savard for the remainder of the season.
"There is a strong possibility [of shutting him down for the season], but you have to take it step by step," Chiarelli told ESPN.com's Joe McDonald. "With the time between concussions, and with the severity of the concussion [last March in Pittsburgh], and the time between when he basically stopped having concussion symptoms, [shutting him down] is certainly something you would have to consider."
Savard is expected to return to Boston this week, where he will be evaluated.
"He still has some symptoms," head coach Claude Julien told reporters on Monday. "They haven't totally disappeared. Again, we'll let the medical people deal with him when he gets back here. Hopefully for his sake, not for the team's sake, but more for his sake, he gets better.
Savard missed the final 18 games of the regular season last year as well as the six playoff games against the Sabres after sustaining a Grade 2 concussion from a hit by Pittsburgh's Matt Cooke. He returned for all seven playoff games against the Flyers but suffered serious post-concussion syndrome symptoms over the summer. He sat out the first 23 games this season before returning on Dec. 2.