NFL

Report: Barber 'devastated' by shun

NewsCore
Share This Story

   
 

NEW YORK

Former Giants running back Tiki Barber was said to be "devastated" that no NFL team expressed an interest in him following his return as a 36-year-old free agent, Sports Illustrated reported Monday.

Making the grade

Now that the preseason is behind us, Alex Marvez is playing teacher and handing out marks.

Barber, who led the NFL's backs in rushing-receiving yards in his final three pro seasons, filed papers in March to come out of retirement and was officially removed from the Giants retired list in late July.

But Barber's agent, Mark Lepselter, confirmed his expectations at landing a team after four years out of the game were not fulfilled by the time teams finalized their 53-man rosters for Week 1.

"We are flabbergasted that Tiki has not had an opportunity with any team, especially when rosters were at 90 players this year," Lepselter said. "I certainly thought some team would be intrigued to see what he had left in the tank."

Barber, who was drafted by Big Blue in the second round of the 1997 NFL Draft, announced the end of his playing days in October 2006, departing the Giants as the team's all-time leading rusher.

He reportedly got engaged last month to his girlfriend Traci Lynn Johnson, the 24-year-old former NBC intern for whom Barber left his wife, Ginny Barber, in 2009 when she was pregnant with twins.

His divorce is pending in the Manhattan Supreme Court, where the couple has bitterly battled over money issues.

Tagged: Giants, Tiki Barber

Related Stories

Member Comments

Please note by clicking on "Post comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Use and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be Polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator.

powered by


More Than Sports on MSN