Former NFL linebacker Shawne Merriman was taken by ambulance from a Los Angeles nightclub to a hospital Sunday night to be treated for dehydration, his publicist and a friend said.
Merriman returned to the club after receiving fluids at the hospital, his publicist, Denise White, said in an email to The Associated Press. He had just gotten off a plane after filming a movie in Canada, White said.
Merriman didn’t return an email seeking comment after it was reported by the Los Angeles Times, using unnamed sources, that he had ‘overdosed Sunday night after ingesting an unspecified combination of alcohol and a drug.’
Merriman, 29, referred to the incident on his verified Twitter account.
”I’m fine guys been working my butt off with training and launching LightsOut and my MBA, flew in from shooting a film in Canada and was…Dehydrated,” Merriman posted.
In a later post, he said: ”Ok just to clear a few things up b/c certain things are just not cool” and linked a story from a Hollywood gossip website in which he was quoted as saying he was dehydrated.
James Brennan, a friend of Merriman’s who owns restaurants and nightclubs in San Diego, said he spoke with Merriman on Monday morning and that the former linebacker was OK.
Brennan also said Merriman returned to the club after being treated.
Merriman retired in March after an eight-year NFL career with the Buffalo Bills and San Diego Chargers. Once one of the most-feared NFL linebackers, Merriman’s career was slowed by injuries and marred by a four-game steroid suspension in 2006.