Hines Ward looks set to be a victim of the Pittsburgh Steelers' economy drive ahead of next season.
Hines Ward said Saturday he wanted to finish his career in Pittsburgh and was open to restructuring his contract after a report indicated the veteran wide receiver was judged to be too expensive to be brought back for a 15th season with the Steelers.
Ward, who has one year and $4 million left on his current deal, confirmed last month he would be willing to take a drop in pay to remain in Pittsburgh.
But the NFL Network reported that the Steelers cannot find room for the fading star as they restructure contracts and manuever below the salary cap.
The report said Ward was open to playing elsewhere next season if he could not workout a new deal, but the 35-year-old said he was committed to staying with the black and gold.
"I don't normally like to respond to rumors, but as I've said all along, I want to finish my career with the Pittsburgh Steelers," Ward wrote on his Facebook page.
"And as I've already told the organization, I am willing to work with them to restructure my contract to make sure this happens."
Ward endured his worst season on the field last year, taking just 46 catches for 381 yards while sliding down the depth chart before the Steelers were dumped out of the playoffs by the Denver Broncos.
The two-time Super Bowl winner has spent all 14 of his NFL seasons with the Steelers.