Report: Steelers undecided about Ward
The NFL Network, citing sources, indicated the veteran wide receiver was judged to be too expensive to be brought back for a 15th season with the Steelers.
The sources said the Steelers could not find room for the fading star as they restructure contracts and maneuver below the salary cap.
But sources told the Post-Gazette that no decision had been made regarding Ward's future with the team.
Ward, who has one year and $4 million left on his current deal, said last month he would be willing to take a drop in pay to stay with the black and gold.
He reiterated his commitment to the team in a Facebook posting Saturday, saying he wanted to finish his career in Pittsburgh and was open to restructuring his contract.
The NFL Network also said Ward, 35, was open to playing elsewhere next season if he could not work out a new deal.
"I don't normally like to respond to rumors, but as I've said all along, I want to finish my career with the Pittsburgh Steelers," Ward wrote on his Facebook page.
"And as I've already told the organization, I am willing to work with them to restructure my contract to make sure this happens," he added.
Ward endured his worst season on the field last year, making just 46 catches for 381 yards while sliding down the depth chart before the Steelers were dumped out of the playoffs by the Denver Broncos.
The two-time Super Bowl winner has spent all 14 of his NFL seasons with the Steelers.