Source: NFL Network to drop bankrupt Sapp
A bad week for NFL analyst Warren Sapp was tipped to get worse, with a report indicating the bankrupt former defensive tackle will be ditched from his TV analyst gig.
The NFL Network was expected to drop Sapp in the wake of his comments over the Saints bounty scandal, The Boston Globe reported Sunday, citing two league sources.
Sapp, who reportedly filed for Chapter 7 bankruptcy in Florida amid debts of up to $6.7 million, has not appeared on the network since he controversially outed former Saints tight end Jeremy Shockey on air as the "snitch" who prompted the league's probe into the franchise. He first made the allegation on Twitter.
Shockey vehemently denied the accusation, with the support of NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell, while the NFL Network stepped away from Sapp's claims and warned him not to overstep his role as an analyst.
Sapp's contract expires in August and is not expected to be renewed, a source told the Globe.
Although a network spokesman refused to discuss his status, another source confirmed to the newspaper that Sapp was yet to be booked in for another on-air appearance.
Sapp was understood to be paid $540,000 annually from the analyst job, according to his bankruptcy filing late last month in Fort Lauderdale, Fla.
In the court documents, Sapp says he has $6.45 million in assets, TMZ reported. Among his debts, the 39-year-old was said to owe hundreds of thousands of dollars in child support and nearly $1 million to the IRS.
After being selected 12th overall in the 1995 NFL Draft after a successful college career at the University of Miami, Sapp enjoyed a 12-year-career with the Bucs and Raiders -- becoming one of the NFL's most dominant defensive players and winning selection to seven Pro Bowls. He was named NFL Defensive Player of the Year in 1999.