FOX Sports Exclusive
Buzz: Irsay rants after win
So you could forgive him for being excited to see it end with a win over Manning and the previously-unbeaten Denver Broncos at Lucas Oil Stadium.
Irsay’s fervor over the upset victory — and his loathing of anyone who didn’t think it would happen — came across as clear as ever during a late-night Twitter rant that showed little in the way of restraint or humility.
It started with a "humble" brag about receiving the game ball and his own genius in restructuring the team a couple years ago:
What a Night! Great Video Tribute for #18,as our Fans cheered! Great Win as my Team gave me the VICTORIOUS Game Ball! SWEET! I was Humbled!— Jim Irsay (@JimIrsay) October 21, 2013
As OWNER,Buck stops with U;In 1997 n January 2012,alone n the room,plotting the vision 4 Greatness! Strategically decades of success follows— Jim Irsay (@JimIrsay) October 21, 2013
Then Irsay started thanking others, including Manning, for their contributions over the years:
So much credit 2 BEST FANS,COLTSFANS N to Peyton,MATHIS,Marvin,Reggie,Jeff Sat n now #12Luck,#13 T Y and T Dungy,Chuck P and so MANY others!— Jim Irsay (@JimIrsay) October 21, 2013
Then he blamed the media for Denver’s loss:
Thanks 2 many ignorant n mean spirited media types,only some,certaInly not all;Man you helped FIRE UP our team..you were AWESOME! Thank YOU!— Jim Irsay (@JimIrsay) October 21, 2013
Then Irsay made sure to clarify to everyone that he wasn’t, in fact, drunk:
Actually working,sorry naysayers..I don't drink...haven't in over 15 years..I know when your unhappy or jealous it's easy to b mean-spirited— Jim Irsay (@JimIrsay) October 21, 2013
Sure, Irsay tweets kind of like I’d expect my grandpa to if he had a smartphone. He’s like the social media version of a friend’s dad going downtown wearing an unbuttoned shirt, a blue mohawk and gaudy jewelry.
But Irsay is nothing if not passionate about his team — a quality seemingly lacking in some owners — and after the stressful lead-up to Sunday’s emotional game, he’s more than entitled to celebrate the win however he damn well pleases.
Now, for some links:
• Read about one man's noble quest to throw a complete game with Mariano Rivera in MLB 13 The Show.
• A man knitted a 12-foot scarf while running the Kansas City Marathon.
• JaVale McGee and Evan Fournier recreate Mario Kart:
• Via KSK, this is just how the Chiefs meant for this play to go:
• Tracy McGrady says he considered using performance-enhancing drugs during his NBA career.
• Vontae Davis called Peyton Manning Tom Brady:
• Cincinnati’s Aaron Brown had a rare 90-yard interception return for a touchback:
• Lindsey Vonn says she trusts that Tiger Woods won't cheat on her.
• The top bid on the Ahmad Rashad-signed pink Oregon helmet is already up over $20,000.
• Via BuzzFeed Sports, Ray Drew’s ejection for targeting may have been the worst such call of the year so far:
• Uhhh… security?!?:
A drunk guy in a Zach Thomas jersey just stumbled into press box and is screaming and cursing— Andrew Abramson (@AbramsonPBP) October 20, 2013
• Arnold Palmer rode into the Wake Forest game on a motorcycle:
• Is Major League Baseball considering a ban on home plate collisions?
• Sounds like the Orlando Magic are ditching morning shootarounds this season.
• Someone pretending to be Tom Izzo was fired out of a cannon at Michigan State’s Midnight Madness event:
• Goalie goal alert:
• The Milwaukee Bucks got in on the Drake hands video game:
• The San Jose Sharks' Brent Burns is ditching his beard for charity.
• Ole Miss’ Gatorade bath skills could use some fine-tuning:
• The Ohio State band moonwalked during the halftime show Saturday:
• The Utah Jazz rookies painted their nails pink as part of a hazing ritual:
• Bill Russell was arrested for allegedly having a loaded gun at the Seattle airport.
• Oregon's defensive coordinator called out Mike Leach after the Ducks' win over Washington State.
• This is a serious cake:
• Somehow, I expected Harvey Updyke’s reaction to this photoshop to be worse:
• The Buffalo Sabres ended practice with a dance-off:
• Bill Parcells' horse won a $250,000 race at Belmont.
• The Reds might be looking to get rid of Brandon Phillips and the Braves would reportedly take him — as long as they can get rid of Dan Uggla in the process.
• Thursday’s episode of Parks and Rec gave baseball stat geeks a shoutout in the form of a law office sign:
• Kurt Busch got his Ricky Bobby on at Talladega this weekend:
• At least they were in good spirits before they got eliminated from the playoffs:
Yasiel Puig and Adrian Gonzalez sign Mickey Mouse and Rally Squirrel posters made by Busch Stadium Sign Guy. pic.twitter.com/xuwC4jTQUg— Molly Knight (@molly_knight) October 18, 2013
More Stories From Sam Gardner