Favre repeats he will not be back in 2011
Brett Favre told the NFL Network on Thursday he will not play next season.
In an interview scheduled to run on Sunday, Favre was asked, “Are you coming back in 2011?” The 41-year-old Minnesota Vikings quarterback hesitated briefly, shook his head and answered, “No.”
Favre has announced plans to retire numerous times in the last several seasons, only to return. He said Vikings teammates convinced him to come back this season; he said in August that this would be his last year as a player.
Favre threw for 446 yards last weekend against the Arizona Cardinals as the Vikings improved to 3-5 to keep postseason hopes alive headed into a divisional game at Chicago on Sunday. He led the Vikings into the NFC Championship Game last season.
Favre is awaiting possible disciplinary action by the NFL regarding alleged inappropriate behavior toward former Jets employee Jenn Sterger. The quarterback sent Sterger lewd photographs and inappropriate text messages according to various reports.
Sterger met with league officials Thursday. Sterger’s manager, Phil Reese, told reporters she turned over “substantial” materials related to the case.