FOX Sports Exclusive
The Daily Buzz: Tuesday, July 2
It’s early July and there’s only one major sport active, but that doesn’t mean there’s not plenty of sports news to go around.
There have been no answers on the Dwight Howard front yet, with regard to NBA free agency, but we’re tracking his every move — the latest update being that Howard will be meeting Tuesday with the Mavericks and Lakers. Elsewhere in the NBA, Chris Paul and the Clippers agreed to a new five-year deal, Mike Dunleavy, Jr. hopped on board with the Bulls and Andray Blatche will stay with the Nets.
In Aaron Hernandez news, Jason Whitlock writes that a case like Hernandez’s was only a matter of time, fans are paying a fortune for Hernandez jerseys online and Bengals owner and GM Mike Brown explained why he stayed away from Hernandez in the draft. (And for those who are more concerned with actual football, the NFL released the dates for training camps around the league.)
That’s not all, though. Here’s some more of what you may have missed:
• Some fans plead for the release of Hernandez. Really.
• And now there's yet another report of past trouble for Hernandez — this time from his days at the University of Florida.
• On his new record, Jay-Z raps about the NFLPA.
• Charlie Weis shows off Kansas’ new uniform-helmet combos:
• FAU also has new football duds:
• On a more positive note, Patriots running back Leon Washington is trying to mentor children.
• Drew Pearson weighs in on Josh Brent: time to cut the cord.
• Butler’s mascot trains for the Bulldogs’ move to the Big East:
• Jay Cutler honeymoon photos have hit the web.
• A former MTV VJ says Michael Jordan wanted to play dice for her virginity.
• Dude Perfect NFL kicking edition:
• Xavier athletic director Greg Christopher knows the price of concussions.
• Former Chiefs quarterback Brady Quinn looks back on his time in Kansas City.
• Tyreke Evans gets a huge offer sheet from New Orleans.
• Which earned this reaction from Reggie Miller:
Pelicans reportedly offer Tyreke Evans 4yr $40-48 million, I need to get back in gym......— Reggie Miller (@ReggieMillerTNT) July 2, 2013
• Of course, Reggie is just kidding. He already pondered a comeback once before and decided to pass.
• And, speaking of the Pelicans, here is what their new court will look like:
• Former Vanderbilt football coach Woody Widenhofer was working in a Florida toll booth.
• Kentucky sent one recruit 182 letters — in one day!
• The Los Angeles Dodgers are reportedly close to acquiring Carlos Marmol, an idea that the L.A. Kings’ mascot doesn’t love:
Carlos Marmol... DON'T DO IT DODGERS— Bailey LA Kings (@BaileyLAKings) July 2, 2013
Hey dodgers. I thought about it for a while..... Carlos Marmol DON'T DO IT!— Bailey LA Kings (@BaileyLAKings) July 2, 2013
• Shabazz Muhammad picked No. 0 because "nobody wears zero in the league." One problem: that's not quite true.
• A college basketball signee was arrested on a robbery charge in Athens, Ga.
• Here are some shirtless Nebraska offensive linemen:
• The Diamondbacks paid tribute to the 19 fallen firefighters in Yarnell, Ariz.
• A BBC reporter was asked to pipe down at Wimbledon.
• Donté Stallworth, who argued with Twitter followers after DOMA was struck down, offers these parting thoughts: