'Pacman' Jones pleads not guilty
Cincinnati Bengals cornerback Adam ''Pacman'' Jones pleaded not guilty Tuesday to an assault charge after police say he hit a woman at a nightclub last week.
The 29-year-old Jones' plea came a day after he was arrested and then released on his own recognizance. He was able to make it to the start of the Bengals' training camp Tuesday but has declined to comment.
Jones is accused of hitting a 34-year-old woman at a downtown Cincinnati nightclub Wednesday shortly before midnight. A police report lists the injury as apparently minor.
Jones was defending himself, his agent, Peter Schaffer, told The Cincinnati Enquirer on Monday. Schaffer did not immediately return a call for comment Tuesday. Jones' attorney, Edward Perry, declined to comment.
Surveillance video of altercation, obtained by a local radio station and verified as authentic by Cincinnati police, appears to show Jones approaching two seated women outside the club. Then, a third woman approaches Jones and appears to confront him. The grainy video shows the woman reach toward Jones' face but it's unclear what she does or whether she's holding anything in her hand.
Jones then appears to hit the woman, who falls to the ground but quickly gets up and follows Jones off-camera as another man with him ushers him away.
The woman in the video, identified by police as 34-year-old Shannon Wesley, did not return a call for comment.
The encounter is not first time Jones has been in trouble. He pleaded guilty in January 2012 to a misdemeanor charge of disorderly conduct. He had been accused of shouting profanities and trying to pull away as police arrested him at a Cincinnati bar months earlier.
Also last year, Jones was ordered to pay $11 million in damages to two Las Vegas strip club employees injured in 2007 when a gunman claiming he was doing Jones' bidding opened fire outside the club after Jones and his entourage were kicked out. A club manager was paralyzed from the waist down and a bouncer was wounded.
Jones said he had no role in the shooting and pleaded an equivalent of no contest to misdemeanor conspiracy to commit disorderly conduct. The gunman, Arvin Kenti Edwards, is serving four to 10 years in prison.