Flacco unhappy over extension delay

Joe Flacco was hoping Sunday to secure his longterm future with the Baltimore Ravens in the near future after the prized quarterback expressed disappointment at the delays to talks over his contract extension.

Ravens owner Steve Bisciotti last month said his aim was to sort Flacco’s extension during the offseason before the start of the 2012 season, which is the last of the 26-year-old’s current deal.

But Flacco told The Baltimore Sun, "Ideally for me, I would like to start talks this year … If you’re not confident with who I am, I’m not sure what a year is going to make."

Flacco, who holds the team’s records in yards passed, touchdowns passed, completions and attempts, believed his performances merited a new deal to avoid him being made to "play a whole year of my contract with no security."

"I think I’ve established myself," he said. "I would like to do something as soon as possible because I feel like I deserve it."

Flacco, who was speaking Saturday at Ravens safety Haruki Nakamura’s Japan relief charity event at Ripken Stadium, added, "If you don’t feel like I’m going to be your quarterback for the next 10 years, what’s one year going to make? I don’t know what the deal is. We’ll have to let this play out and see."