Saints' Vilma having minor surgery
METAIRIE, La. (AP)
TRAINING CAMP INJURIES
- Steelers WR Burress out for season
- Season over for injured Saints duo
- Packers LT Bulaga opts for surgery
- Second Eagles wideout tears ACL
- Chargers WR Alexander tears ACL
- 49ers CB Culliver tears ACL
- Seahawks' Harvin needs surgery
- Eagles WR Maclin tears ACL
- Ravens TE Pitta out for season
- Photos: NFL major injuries
Payton is not offering any timeline for Vilma's return, saying only that the linebacker is expected back and that the Saints would ''kind of go from there.''
Vilma has had numerous surgeries on his left knee during the past two seasons. He missed five games in 2011 and started last season on the physically unable to perform list. However, Payton stopped short of saying he viewed Vilma's latest surgery as a setback to his rehabilitation from earlier operations, stressing that the latest procedure was ''a little different.''
Vilma opened training camp working as a first-team middle linebacker in the Saints' 3-4 defense, but had missed a handful of practices lately.