Report: Gronkowski expected to play
BUILDUP TO INDY
- Super Bowl XLVI: 6:30 p.m. ET, Sunday
- Manning family vs. Brady
- Super Bowl Cheat Sheet
- Patriots' Kraft still hurting
- Belichick needs to secure legacy
- Billick's matchups and storylines
- Jacobs savors another Super Bowl
- Eli's leap could come in Peyton's place
- Super Bowl odds a mix of science, art
- Giants linebacker a true inspiration
- Ochocinco has 86'd 'me' attitude
- Reason for Giants' turnaround
- Giants' Coughlin forging a legacy
- High price of the Super Bowl
- Not about Boston vs. New York
- Picks, predictions
The All-Pro did not practice last week and likely will not practice at all before the game at Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis.
Should he play, the sources said he is expected to be limited because of the swelling and structural damage to the ligaments.
It is believed Gronkowski will undergo arthroscopic surgery on the left ankle after the game.
The status of the 6-6, 265-pound monster has been a hot topic since he suffered the injury in the third quarter of last Sunday's AFC title-game win over the Ravens.
Gronkowski, who set an NFL record for tight ends with 17 touchdown catches during the regular season, returned to the game about five minutes later but was spotted wearing a walking boot Monday.
He was again seen wearing the boot Sunday when the Patriots landed in Indianapolis, WEEI.com reported.