NFL

Miami's Incognito lashes out at Martin on Twitter

Share This Story

   
 

Dolphins offensive lineman Richie Incognito lashed out at teammate Jonathan Martin on Twitter Wednesday, saying ''The truth is going to bury you and your entire `camp.' You could have told the truth the entire time.''

Incognito also wrote Martin told him he thought about committing suicide because he wasn't playing well.

''FACT: Jonathan Martin told me he thought about taking his own life in MAY 2013 b/c he wasn't playing well. Told me he felt worthless,'' Incognito said on Twitter.

Incognito's series of tweets directed at Martin and his representatives come as the NFL is preparing to release a report on the Dolphins' bullying case which could help clarify their much-publicized relationship.

Martin previously said he was harassed daily by Incognito and other teammates. He alleged their racial, aggressive and sexually charged comments played a role in his departure from the team on Oct. 28.

Incognito recently finished serving a three-month suspension but isn't expected to return to Miami.

He took aim at Martin's agent Kenneth Zuckerman from Priority Sports, on Wednesday, accusing him of releasing information to the media.

''What do you have to say for your actions? Why did you release the VM. What was your goal?'' Incognito wrote on Twitter.

Zuckerman said in a brief telephone interview with The Associated Press that he didn't want to respond to Incognito's comments, except to say, ''The only thing I would say is I'll let Jason La Canfora's tweet speak for itself.''

After Incognito's Twitter rant, La Canfora, who works for CBS Sports and broke the story on the text messages exchanged between the teammates, said on Twitter that Zuckerman ''had nothing to do with my reporting.''

Zuckerman declined to answer other questions about the case.

Incognito also wrote on Twitter: ''the truth will set me free. I can't say the same about Jon Martin. The truth is what he's hiding from.''

Incognito's final tweet referred all questions to his attorney Mark Schamel, who did not return phone calls to the AP.

Martin abruptly left the Dolphins last October and was hospitalized. He underwent counseling for emotional issues.

Incognito was suspended Nov. 3, causing him to miss his final eight games.

The NFL report, which is headed up by Ted Wells, is expected to be released and could help shed some light on what role Dolphins coach Joe Philbin and his staff, as well as the front office, had in the case. The concern is whether or not Incognito was ordered to toughen up Martin, who struggled after earning a starting job in 2012 as a rookie.

---

AP Sports Writer Steven Wine in Miami contributed to this report.

Tagged: Dolphins, Richie Incognito, Jonathan Martin

Related Stories

Member Comments

Please note by clicking on "Post comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Use and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be Polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator.

powered by


NFL Videos

Best Person in Sports: Keenan Lewis Posted: Jul 15, 2014
Saints CB Keenan Lewis hosts a back-to-school event, giving children medical ser...

NFL Roundtable: New York Jets Posted: Jul 14, 2014
They're a team with plenty to prove and a roster of players primed to get it don...

NFL Roundtable: Detroit Lions Posted: Jul 11, 2014
A team with so many weapons, is this the season that the Lions put together and ...

More Than Sports on MSN