Philbin's son died with drugs in system
A toxicology report released Wednesday revealed the son of Miami Dolphins head coach Joe Philbin had marijuana in his system and a blood-alcohol level of 0.176 when he drowned in January.
Michael Philbin, 21, fell through the ice of the Fox River in Oshkosh, Wis., about 50 miles south of Green Bay on Jan. 8.
Investigators said they found no evidence of foul play, according to the Green Bay Press-Gazette. The death was ruled an accidental drowning.
Joe Philbin, who was serving in his fifth season as offensive coordinator for the Green Bay Packers at the time of his son's death, issued a statement Wednesday urging young adults to learn from his family's tragedy.
"The loss of a child and sibling is absolutely heartbreaking to a family. Ours is no different. We hope that the results of the recent toxicology report serves as a reminder to us all that the mixture of alcohol and marijuana can be extremely dangerous; potentially even fatal," read Philbin's statement.
"The message is clear: practice moderation in the consumption of alcohol, avoid illegal drugs, and if someone appears to be in need of assistance, help them so that this situation doesn't occur again."
Michael Philbin, who was a student at Ripon College in Ripon, Wis., had been in Oshkosh visiting friends at the University of Wisconsin-Oshkosh when he drowned. He was the second oldest of six children.
Joe Philbin, 50, accepted the head coaching job in Miami in late January. He helped guide the Packers to a 15-1 regular-season record and an NFC North title last season.