Rams reached out to Brett Favre about return, but he turned them down

When the Rams lost QB Sam Bradford for the season last weekend, reports surfaced that the team reached out to (unwillingly) retired QB Tim Tebow. The team and other reporters have denied that, but now FOX Sports has confirmed they inquired about another QB.

A 44-year-old one named Brett Favre.

The retired signal caller also confirmed the report to Sportstalk 570 in St. Louis.

Favre also went on the air with the station to do an interview and elaborate.

“No one called me personally,” said Favre, who is familiar with Rams offense coordinator Brian Schottenheimer’s system from their time together with the Jets.

“I’ve had enough,” Favre continued. “I had enough a long time ago.”

Have other clubs tried to gauge his interest this season about a return? “I think a couple teams have inquired. … It’s flattering, but there’s no way I’m going to do that.”

Favre also said he doesn’t watch much football on Sundays to see if anyone could use his services.

“I had a great career,” Favre said. “I think if anything, the last year that I played was obvious writing on the wall. It was time.”

Favre, talking about concussions and hits to the head, also said teams didn’t keep logs like they do today and that he can’t truly know what long-term issues he may have. Favre did elaborate on one point, however.

“I don’t remember my daughter playing youth soccer. Now, I have a pretty good memory … but this was a little shocking,” Favre said.

Former Vikings teammate Jared Allen said: “If Favre is coming back, I’m going to fly down there and tell him to stay retired. Brett, if you’re listening, stay retired, dude. He can’t come back again.”

Adam Schefter of ESPN originally reported on Thursday morning that St. Louis on Sunday reached out to Favre to gauge the future Hall of Famer’s interest in suiting up this season.

Earlier this week, St. Louis signed Brady Quinn to back up new starter Kellen Clemens.

This is the second time Favre’s name has come up this season, as Favre’s agent Bus Cook said in September the QB “could play today” and “His arms look like a blacksmith’s arms. He rides a bike probably 30-50 miles a day. He runs four or five miles a day. … He could play today, better than a lot of them out there today.”

Favre during the interview said that Cook was humble bragging a little too much and that was an overestimate.

With all the starting QBs going down in Week 7, and if indeed the Rams did come calling, were Cook’s comments geared at seeing if perhaps another interested team (you know, one that isn’t 3-4 and in a division with the Seahawks and 49ers) would bite at Favre? Is this the ploy of an agent looking to get Favre one last shot?

If it is, at least he’s better than this agent.

Later on “Mike & Mike,” FOX NFL analyst Brian Billick said that he believes if there was a call, it was likely not a very serious one.

Where this goes next remains to be seen. But what is undeniable is the impressiveness of Favre’s resume. He is the NFL’s all-time leader in passing yards, completions and touchdowns. The three-time MVP last played in 2010 with Minnesota, a season after leading the Vikings to the NFC championship game.