Los Angeles Lakers guard Steve Nash expected Dwight Howard to leave as a free agent.
Los Angeles Lakers guard Steve Nash doesn’t believe Dwight Howard ever wanted to join the franchise and didn’t expect the covered center to re-sign as a free agent.
"Ultimately, I think Dwight wasn't comfortable here and didn't want to be here and I think if he didn't want to be here, there's no point for anyone in him being here," Nash told ESPN LA 710 radio. "So, we wish him the best and move on."
Nash and Kobe Bryant were among those present when the Lakers met with Howard last week in an attempt to convince him to sign a maximum guaranteed contract with the team.
"Frankly, I thought before the meeting, we didn't really have a chance and I'd like to think that after the meeting we had a chance," Nash told ESPN LA 710 radio.
Howard was heavily courted in free agency before announcing this past Friday that he planned to sign with the Houston Rockets. In addition to the Lakers and Rockets, the Dallas Mavericks, Golden State Warriors and Atlanta Hawks also seriously pursued him.
Among the rumored reasons that Howard chose the Rockets over the Lakers was a dissatisfaction with Lakers coach Mike D’Antoni’s system. However, Nash defended D’Antoni and noted that Rockets run a similar system.
"We'll see," Nash told ESPN LA 710 radio. "Houston runs a pick-and-roll offense and they are littered with shooting and can maybe space the floor more for him so he can have more opportunities inside with space."