FOX Sports Exclusive
The Daily Buzz: Thursday, June 13
If you’re a hockey fan, you couldn’t have asked for a more exciting game than the one provided by the Chicago Blackhawks and Boston Bruins, who burned the midnight oil in Game 1 of the Stanley Cup Finals, with the Blackhawks finally prevailing on Andrew Shaw's deflection in triple-overtime.
Unfortunately, Wednesday was also a somber day for everyone in the sports world, but especially those in the NASCAR racing community, as driver Jason Leffler was killed in a non-sanctioned sprint car race in New Jersey.
Away from the Finals, the Brooklyn Nets hired Jason Kidd to be their new head coach, doing so despite having interviewed several other actual coaches. As for the rest of the news, here’s some of what you may have missed or may want to see again:
For real though I'm mad J Kidd got a head coaching job a year after retiring n my pops been coaching 10 years n barely gets a look— Patrick Ewing Jr (@pewingjr6) June 13, 2013
That being said I hope j Kidd does great I'm glad the nets brought him back. I love the Knicks but the best offer they had was NBDL HC?— Patrick Ewing Jr (@pewingjr6) June 13, 2013
Not even just my dad though there are more qualified coaches out there not just my dad.— Patrick Ewing Jr (@pewingjr6) June 13, 2013
• Magic Johnson, however, was happy about the choice, as were several other current and former NBA players:
Congrats to one of the greatest point guards ever and my friend @ realjasonkidd on becoming the Brooklyn Nets' new head coach!— Earvin Magic Johnson (@MagicJohnson) June 13, 2013
S/O 1st ballot HOF @ realjasonkidd, one of the best to do it and on the new gig!— Marcus Camby (@MarcusCamby23) June 13, 2013
Wow. Jason kids going to finals next year. He is going to be a complete coach. He should coach in a nets uniform. So he can sub in.— Metta World Peace (@MettaWorldPeace) June 13, 2013
That's big time @ realjasonkidd becoming the Nets Head Coach. Who was the last player to retire then become a head coach the following sea?— Jared Dudley (@JaredDudley619) June 13, 2013
Congrats to Jason Kidd on his new head coaching job...hes a great leader that is going to do unbelievable things in Brooklyn— Kevin Durant (@KDTrey5) June 13, 2013
• Adrian Peterson's brother is the focus of a drug probe in Minnesota.
• A terrifying health scare for the wife of Cardinals broadcaster Rick Horton has kept Horton off TV this week.
• Chicken magnate Von Miller answers the age-old question: Which came first?
• Blue Jays shortstop Munenori Kawasaki — HE'S JAPANESE — kind of sings O Canada!
• Lil' Wayne says he was "too turnt up" — which I think means drunk — when he said he slept with Chris Bosh's wife. Glad that's cleared up.
• LeBron James tasted defeat in high school, too.
• The Pittsburgh Penguins are not making wholesale changes after their elimination in the conference finals.
• Howard's Rock was vandalized, and now Clemson police are investigating.
• Here is Pistons big man Andre Drummond dunking on Chris Brown:
• NASCAR driver Brian Vickers is going to honor the Louisville championship basketball team with his paint scheme in a race.
• The White Sox's No. 1 pick, shortstop Tim Anderson, signed for more than $2 million.
• An absolutely incredible photo of the weather in Chicago Wednesday night:
• Indy 500 winner Tony Kanaan celebrated with Vin Diesel.
• Andrew Shaw dropped a subtle F-bomb on live TV after scoring the game-winning goal in triple overtime for the Chicago Blackhawks ( NSFW language, obviously): •
•Another Flutie is headed to Boston College
• NFL player-turned-author Rennie Curran hopes to find a football home with Edmonton of the CFL.
• Nothing to see here… just a wolf chasing a motorcyclist in Canada
More Stories From Sam Gardner