Report: Howard-to-Nets deal dead

The Brooklyn Nets have pulled out of trade talks for Dwight Howard, according to

Looks as if Dwight Howard won't get what he wants.

The Brooklyn Nets have pulled out of trade talks for the All-Star center, according to Howard had requested a trade to Brooklyn, saying it was the only team with which he would sign a long-term contract extension.

The Orlando Magic had been negotiating with the Nets but a last-gasp attempt at a deal fell through Wednesday, according to the website. 

The Nets reportedly offered four future first-round picks, center Brook Lopez and power forward Kris Humphries in sign-and-trade deals. The offer was rejected by the Magic, so the Nets decided to end trade talks and focus on re-signing Lopez to a multiyear deal. If Lopez signs with the Nets, he can't be traded until January 15.

According to The Associated Press, Magic general manager Rob Hennigan said talks with the Nets involving Howard are ''stationary'' but that discussions remain open with New Jersey and other teams. The Lakers and Rockets have reportedly been active suitors for Howard.

Hennigan also said he continues to speak with both Howard and his representatives and that Orlando officials will continue to keep dialogues open to work out a deal that is in the best interest of the Magic.

Howard recently reissued a trade request and identified Brooklyn as his desired destination. Howard is currently under contract with the Magic through next season.

Howard, 26, is considered the best center in the NBA. A two-time defensive player of the year, he averaged 20.6 points and 14.5 rebounds for the Magic last season. He missed the playoffs with a back injury that is also keeping him out of the 2012 Olympics.

Download the new FOX Sports App to get the latest news and scores from your NBA team.

Get The Fastest NBA
Scores, News and Alerts

Text yourself the FOX Sports App